Safale s-33 or Safale wb-06?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ale_Jail

Reaction score
I am making a wheat beer where I will be adding sweet orange peel to it......should I use Safale s-33 which I was told has a more neutral flavor or wb-06 which will add a banana and clove flavor to it.

Will the banana and orange go well together? Or should I choose one or the other?

Re the s-33 I've had it stall at 1.020 or higher on my 3 different times now with 3 different packages. You'll find a few "flame" threads about the s-33 too. Me myself I'll never use it again but on the other hand a handful of people have claimed good success with it.
Maybe split your wort and ferment it with s-33 and wb-06 for experiment and comparisons sake :)

Sounds good...I went with the wb-06.....when I went back to the store to see if I could get the s-33 but they were sold out.....so my decision was easier haha

What's the worst that could happen?

Just a note about s33. It can be delicious in dark beers. I have used it in 2 brown ales and it has been used in stouts and porters.
It is an English Ale strain called Edme. It starts fast and ends fast which is a great quality.

Don't mean to hi-jack your thread, but it's kind of on topic.

I'm brewing an AG wheat next weekend with 06. What is the best fermentation temp for flavor with this yeast?

Right now Mine is going pretty well.....I don't have complete temp control yet....have to figure that out...but my air temp has been between 63 and 67....if I remember the package correctly that should be the good temps although I am thinking they mean the wort temp and not air temp.

If I recall correctly for 06 fermenting colder 60*F - 64*F should give banana and higher will give clove. I like this yeast for wheats and have made several with it on the cooler side of fermentation.

I make my American Wheat with 06 and ferment at 68. Subtle banana and clove. Not a banana bomb like some of the liquid strains

Back