safale and apple juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

like2brew

Reaction score
just did a batch of cider. it was 5.5 gallons of walmart apple juice and safale s-04.i decided to go with no sugar. was wondering where I would end up ABV? also if its gonna be too low on abv, can I just open the lid and toss some sugar in

just did a batch of cider. it was 5.5 gallons of walmart apple juice and safale s-04.i decided to go with no sugar. was wondering where I would end up ABV? also if its gonna be too low on abv, can I just open the lid and toss some sugar in

Did you measure the OG on the batch? If you did no sugar added I think you'll end up around 5-6.5%.

Well if it was just 5.5 gallons of apple juice, then your OG should be about 1.044 and would put the FG around 1.000. So you would end of with about a 5.8% ABV. If you decide to back sweeten with say half a gallon of apple juice that will go down to about 5.3% ABV and 1 gallon would be about 4.9% ABV. Hope that helps.

Does the apfelwein recipe
Require the Montrachet wine yeast?
Will using the safale 04
Alter the taste for the worst?

Safale S04 works well. I have done 3 batches with it now and they all taste great. 2 batches were Apple Wines and 1 was a regular Hard Cider.

Ok great!!! That's good news. I was gonna order the Montrachet off of more beer but it cost .75 for the packet and $7 to ship lol I have an extra 04 and was hoping that would work. Thanks for the input

thanks for the replies. if I can get between 5.5 to 7 I will be happy. that's what I was hoping for anyway. next time I won't be lazy and I will use my hydrometer. im gonna let it be. its fermenting like crazy right now!

Back