Safale 05 at 72F ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeinCT

Reaction score
Well my basement was 65 F a couple months ago but now I can see that it is warming up. I want to do a batch next week and wonder if I will be ok at 72F with safale 05? Anybody have experience with these temperatures??

thanks, Mike

This is all i use at a wide range of temp, dont see a problems im usually at about 70 in my basement. i have had some warm ones upstairs with no problems. It will depend on what style your brewing as well. Cheers Jon

Nah, 72 ambient is too high, due to the fact that the beer in the bucket could be as much as 5 degrees higher or so. IMO 72 for actual beer temp is pushing it. Sounds like you need a swamp cooler. Its cheap, easy to set up and nearly impossible to screw up. Given your close ambient temp is so close to optimal temp of 66-68, you would only have to pay the smallest amount of attention to it for the first three days, then after that it can rise to room temp with no issues. The swamp cooler was without a doubt the single best thing I did for my brews.

Nah, 72 ambient is too high, due to the fact that the beer in the bucket could be as much as 5 degrees higher or so. IMO 72 for actual beer temp is pushing it. Sounds like you need a swamp cooler. Its cheap, easy to set up and nearly impossible to screw up. Given your close ambient temp is so close to optimal temp of 66-68, you would only have to pay the smallest amount of attention to it for the first three days, then after that it can rise to room temp with no issues. The swamp cooler was without a doubt the single best thing I did for my brews.

I agree, swamp cooler is so easy.

1. Get a heavy duty rubbermaid container, big enough to fit your fermentor in (mine fits 2 buckets).
2. Fill the container 2/3 with water.
3. Once you pitch your yeast put your fermentor in the water.
4. Add frozen water bottles to get the temp down to the mid to low 60's (try to make sure your wort is at 65F before you pitch your yeast, that way they won't be shocked by dropping temps in the fermentation chamber).
5. Have a fan constantly blowing air over the open container. This will increase evaporation which will also provide cooling.

I only had to change my water bottles once a day and the temp held fairly steady at 65F.

Use a swamp cooler and bring it down to proper fermentation temps.

I like 60-65F personally for many yeasts, but I use US-05 a lot in that range.

If it were me I'd get some sort of fermentation temperature control going. In fact that's exactly what I'm working on since my last beer fermented a degree or two too high and has that funny cidery taste to it.

If I can help it I'll never let another beer get above 70 again. I'd like to try to keep them around 65 while fermenting.

Back