Sabro hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sborz22

Here for a SMaSH'ing good time!
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have been looking some more reviews/thoughts on Sabro hops. For how excited people seem to be about them I don’t see many reviews and only one topic seems to have talked about these hops.

I just got 8 oz of these bad boys and I was planning on doing an all Sabro NEIPA with them today but I saw one thread where someone really seemed to be against a solo Sabro Ipa.

Any new experience with these hops or thoughts on my idea?

Cheers!

Last edited:
I didn't brew a NEIPA this past weekend but a rye PA (prolly more of a Pale Ale). I bittered with a small amount of Warrior then add Sabro at 10, flameout and a good amount at a 15 minute whirlpool then I'll dry hop with it as well.
It definitely smelled like a fresh hop and it's nice coming out the fermenter but I have no idea if it will match what's written about it but I wanted to see what it was like before pairing it with other hops are getting too fancy with the grain bill. Why I used some rye, I don't know but I'll find out soon and share it here when I do.

Had a NEIPA made with this (and other stuff; citra and amarillo at least) at a local brewery. He happened to be dry hopping when I was there and the smell of these things was amazing; beer was solid too. I know I'm getting 8oz for Christmas...thinking of doing a "regular" IPA with them and adding a touch of mosaic.

Well, I am wrapping up my brew day and I decided to do 2oz of them in whirlpool, 2 oz mid fermentation and then 2 oz about a week later.

I will report back for anyone else who was in a similar conundrum as I was.

For anyone that cares to know- WOW. This is such a unique hop. I really get the mint flavor in my all Sabro NEIPA. It is just so different from all other hops that it is totally worth using at least once. I’m glad I bought a lb. of these hops because I think I’m in love(don’t tell my SO)

I kegged my Rye Sabro today and I think those hops, with Imperial Dry Hop yeast go well together. Too early to tell but it tasted great. I got tons of apricot (probably from the yeast) and I definitely think it's unique. I'll try a Chico strain next time and keep the malt bill simple to really see what they bring but I've got a bit more than a lb left and can't wait to brew with them again.

I kegged my Rye Sabro today and I think those hops, with Imperial Dry Hop yeast go well together. Too early to tell but it tasted great. I got tons of apricot (probably from the yeast) and I definitely think it's unique. I'll try a Chico strain next time and keep the malt bill simple to really see what they bring but I've got a bit more than a lb left and can't wait to brew with them again.

If ya have a chance let me know how it works with rye. Like I said I got crazy mint flavor and I’d be interested how that interacts with the peppery rye.

Happy to see this thread. I too just got 8 oz of Sabro along with Idaho-7, Amarillo, and Azacca as a package from Yakima Valley Hops. I've been torn between making a NEIPA or more of a standard IPA (possibly the same bill/schedule as Bell's Two Hearted, but with Sabro).

For anyone who's curious, there's a post on Reddit with a guy who did an all Sabro NEIPA, but also added in toasted coconut to play along with the tropical/coconut hop flavor reported Link here https://www.reddit.com/r/Homebrewing/comments/a5bhwd/sabro_hops/ Look at the first reply, he also links to a recipe that he used. The picture itself looks amazing, something I wouldn't mind giving a go, but first time around I may go more for:

11 lbs 2 row
3 lbs pale malt
.5 lb crystal 40

Hop schedule:
1.2 oz@ 45min
1.2 oz@ 30min
3.5 oz dry hop

If ya have a chance let me know how it works with rye. Like I said I got crazy mint flavor and I’d be interested how that interacts with the peppery rye.
It's in the keg 3 days now but as I was pouring a small glass last night to remove some of the settled stuff at the bottom of the keg, I did give it a taste. First, the aroma is very prominent. The taste as of now, is not apricot or peach like the aroma but that's ok. I was worried the rye might muddle up the hops but I'm not getting that. I'll know for sure this coming weekend but I'm already calling it a success. I'm already planning another brew, a few down the line, with Sabro again and think this hop in a pale ale or IPA is a winner!

Happy to see this thread. I too just got 8 oz of Sabro along with Idaho-7, Amarillo, and Azacca as a package from Yakima Valley Hops. I've been torn between making a NEIPA or more of a standard IPA (possibly the same bill/schedule as Bell's Two Hearted, but with Sabro).

For anyone who's curious, there's a post on Reddit with a guy who did an all Sabro NEIPA, but also added in toasted coconut to play along with the tropical/coconut hop flavor reported Link here https://www.reddit.com/r/Homebrewing/comments/a5bhwd/sabro_hops/ Look at the first reply, he also links to a recipe that he used. The picture itself looks amazing, something I wouldn't mind giving a go, but first time around I may go more for:

11 lbs 2 row
3 lbs pale malt
.5 lb crystal 40

Hop schedule:
1.2 oz@ 45min
1.2 oz@ 30min
3.5 oz dry hop

That is awesome!

I used a super simple grain bill- essentially a SMASH with a lb of wheat for head retention/haze

13 lbs 2 row
1lb white wheat

London III yeast - 200 billion cells est.

Water Chem
All in mash water (5 gallons)
Gypsum 1 gram
CaCl 8 grams
MgSo4 5 grams
Lactic acid 3.69 mL
5.38 mash PH

Mash Temp: 152 for 60 minutes

Hop additions
2 oz whirlpool at 170 degrees
2 oz dry hop at high krausen for 5 days for biotransformation
2 oz dry hop when I pulled first addition out and gave it 5 days after

Ferm temp was 68 F

Cold crashed for 2 days following pulling second dry hop and kegged that baby!

I really wanted to see what the hops would do as the lead dog and I can't say enough how fantastic this hop is!

Last edited:
It's in the keg 3 days now but as I was pouring a small glass last night to remove some of the settled stuff at the bottom of the keg, I did give it a taste. First, the aroma is very prominent. The taste as of now, is not apricot or peach like the aroma but that's ok. I was worried the rye might muddle up the hops but I'm not getting that. I'll know for sure this coming weekend but I'm already calling it a success. I'm already planning another brew, a few down the line, with Sabro again and think this hop in a pale ale or IPA is a winner!

Nice!

I really get the minty flavor on the back end. The initial taste has been described as orange soda-esk and I am not sure if that is the taste I am getting, and in fact I don't really know how to describe it other than delicious!

Last edited:
That is awesome!

I used a super simple grain bill- essentially a SMASH with a lb of wheat for head retention/haze

13 lbs 2 row
1lb white wheat

London III yeast - 200 billion cells est.

Water Chem
All in mash water (5 gallons)
Gypsum 1 gram
CaCl 8 grams
MgSo4 5 grams
Lactic acid 3.69 mL
5.38 mash PH

Mash Temp: 152 for 60 minutes

Hop additions
2 oz whirlpool at 170 degrees
2 oz dry hop at high krausen for 5 days for biotransformation
2 oz dry hop when I pulled first addition out and gave it 5 days after

Ferm temp was 68 F

Cold crashed for 2 days following pulling second dry hop and kegged that baby!

I really wanted to see what the hops would do as the lead dog and I can't say enough how fantastic this hop is!

Now that's pretty much what I was looking for. I just used some London Ale III and used the Brulosopher's Yeast Harvest method to keep some around for a future brew. I just may do something similar to this to try this hop out. I want to really get a sense of the flavor/aroma for sure. The recipe I posted was the base used for Bell's Two Hearted, just swapping Centennial for Sabro.

Cheers!

Drinking my second beer with this hop.

It’s amazing how potent this hop is and the pellets smell exactly like the beer does. It’s amazing how it translates into the beer.

I’ve done an all Sabro hop beer and now one with Sabro/Galaxy/Vic Secret.

To me the all Sabro beer was a little too much “cedar” for me. It had this unreal fruit and coconut aspect but also a very strong cedar like aroma and flavor.

This beer was equal parts Galaxy/Vic Secret with a supporting Sabro role. To me this is much better. The coconut comes through really well and it’s unique fruityness blends well with the Galaxy/Vic Secret. I don’t get nearly as much woody/cedar.

I bought a lot of this hop and plan to use it a lot but it is incredibly potent so it’ll play a little more of a supporting role. It’s by far the most potent American hop I’ve used. Very similar to the Aussie hops it potency. You don’t need nearly as much of it as some of the American varieties.

Got another beer going that’s a mix of El Dorado, Galaxy, Bru-1, and Sabro. Sabro again dominates. It is so crazy potent. My Sabro amounts keep going down and I might even only add it hotside next time and not in the dry hop. Or maybe just a very small amount in the dry hop, like 1/2oz of 5-6 oz total.

I honestly wonder if you could make an all sabro beer with literally half as much hops as say an all Mosaic or Citra beer.

Got another beer going that’s a mix of El Dorado, Galaxy, Bru-1, and Sabro. Sabro again dominates. It is so crazy potent. My Sabro amounts keep going down and I might even only add it hotside next time and not in the dry hop. Or maybe just a very small amount in the dry hop, like 1/2oz of 5-6 oz total.

I honestly wonder if you could make an all sabro beer with literally half as much hops as say an all Mosaic or Citra beer.

I brewed a SMaSH IPA from a recipe that Vinnie Cilurzo (Russian River, Pliny the Elder) had formulated when this was an experimental hop. They called it Ron Mexico, since that was the nickname for the hop. Think it was on the YCH website somewhere.

Anyway, it was a 'good' beer and was judged favorably in competition. But there was just something missing to my taste. Haven't yet brewed it with a complimenting hop mix vs. single hop, but would be interested to hear if it plays nice with other ones.

Brooo Brother

11 lbs 2 row
3 lbs pale malt
.5 lb crystal 40

Hop schedule:
1.2 oz@ 45min
1.2 oz@ 30min
3.5 oz dry hop

Hey there - that was me who brewed that Sabro NEIPA linked above! Just a quick update on that particular recipe - the super potent pineapple flavor eventually faded and was overtaken by coconut. Whether or not the coconut came more from the hops or the toasted coconut is still debated. It was a really great way to learn what this hop has to offer, but I probably will not brew another single hop Sabro IPA anytime soon.

That being said, it paired perfectly with Azacca and a bit of Galaxy for my latest NEIPA. This is probably my favorite beer I have brewed to date and I can't wait to use more Sabro in these IPA's! https://www.instagram.com/p/Btd5mxpF8JC/

Yeah, I haven't used mine yet, but I just opened them over the weekend to measure and was hit with MAJOR coconut aroma, with I guess an earthy/herbal/dank undertone. Will be very curious to see how this manifests in a beer; plan on pairing with mosaic, as I mentioned earlier.

Hey there - that was me who brewed that Sabro NEIPA linked above! Just a quick update on that particular recipe - the super potent pineapple flavor eventually faded and was overtaken by coconut. Whether or not the coconut came more from the hops or the toasted coconut is still debated. It was a really great way to learn what this hop has to offer, but I probably will not brew another single hop Sabro IPA anytime soon.

That being said, it paired perfectly with Azacca and a bit of Galaxy for my latest NEIPA. This is probably my favorite beer I have brewed to date and I can't wait to use more Sabro in these IPA's! https://www.instagram.com/p/Btd5mxpF8JC/

That’s awesome! Small world! I’ve been on a NEIPA binge lately so I’m gonna try to steer away from that style this time but it’s seeming like NEIPA is a great style for this Hop.

It's taken me awhile to finish my keg of my Rye with Sabro hops but it is still changing and giving me goodness. Really a different type of hop.
The aroma is almost all gone and I still get some mint but now on the back end I'm picking up a very subtle coconut. It's very good and I feel almost like, in the course of this keg, I've had 3 different beers!

Heard many professionals recommend no more than 15-20% of the hop bill should be Sabro. Its a great hop to use in small amounts as an “amplifier” of sorts.

Last edited:
Someone brought a 50/50 sabro/azacca IPA to the last homebrew meeting and it was straight up coconut juice - much more than I remembered from my local brewery. I dialed back my recipe accordingly (probably won't brew it for a few months), but part of me thinks I may still have too much.

Did you ever do the all Sabro neipa? I'm thinking of trying one tonight. Also heard it pairs well with Mosaic, and I have a TON of that.

Never used Sabro, but I'm very interested. Kind of want to taste it by itself, but if it's extremely potent, I'm thinking mostly late additions and DHing.

Did you ever do the all Sabro neipa? I'm thinking of trying one tonight. Also heard it pairs well with Mosaic, and I have a TON of that.

Never used Sabro, but I'm very interested. Kind of want to taste it by itself, but if it's extremely potent, I'm thinking mostly late additions and DHing.

I did a 100% Sabro beer when I first got them a few years ago I think. The tropical fruit qualities of Sabro are pretty nuts however the dill/cedar/wood character is just too strong for me to want to use it at even more than 5%. It’s so potent and unique that it really stands out. It is hands down the best smelling hop out of the bag. I’ve literally used everything from AUS/NZ/SA/Slovenia/Germany and all the experimental varieties available on the Homebrew market and nothing compares. However what ends up in the beer just doesn’t jive with me.

I know the guys at Cellarmaker say the best Sabro beer they make is 100% but other than that it’s got be less than 10%.

I actually just used it in a beer as 5% of the DH that was a combo of HBC586, Galaxy, Mosaic and could still pick it out but didn’t hate it. To me HBC586 is actually a better Sabro. It has the creamy tropical aspects of Sabro and this interesting “sulphur” note but virtually none of the wood/coconut/dill.

Hope that helps. It’s not a bad hop and it’s insanely strong but I just don’t really enjoy it that much.

I did a 100% Sabro beer when I first got them a few years ago I think. The tropical fruit qualities of Sabro are pretty nuts however the dill/cedar/wood character is just too strong for me to want to use it at even more than 5%. It’s so potent and unique that it really stands out. It is hands down the best smelling hop out of the bag. I’ve literally used everything from AUS/NZ/SA/Slovenia/Germany and all the experimental varieties available on the Homebrew market and nothing compares. However what ends up in the beer just doesn’t jive with me.

I know the guys at Cellarmaker say the best Sabro beer they make is 100% but other than that it’s got be less than 10%.

I actually just used it in a beer as 5% of the DH that was a combo of HBC586, Galaxy, Mosaic and could still pick it out but didn’t hate it. To me HBC586 is actually a better Sabro. It has the creamy tropical aspects of Sabro and this interesting “sulphur” note but virtually none of the wood/coconut/dill.

Hope that helps. It’s not a bad hop and it’s insanely strong but I just don’t really enjoy it that much.
Hmm, good to know. I think I'm going to give it a whirl just to see what it offers. I'm pretty picky with my NEIPA hops, and I remember you saying you're not that into Citra/Mosiac, and I love them. Same with Simcoe. You're a huge fan, and I personally would never use them again. So maybe Sabro is my white whale hop. At least I'll find out. Thinking 0.5 oz at 15, 1 oz at 10, 1 oz at 5, and 3 oz WP at 180. 5oz DH. Overkill? Beersmith is predicting 67 IBU, which is pretty typical for my NEIPAs.

Hmm, good to know. I think I'm going to give it a whirl just to see what it offers. I'm pretty picky with my NEIPA hops, and I remember you saying you're not that into Citra/Mosiac, and I love them. Same with Simcoe. You're a huge fan, and I personally would never use them again. So maybe Sabro is my white whale hop. At least I'll find out. Thinking 0.5 oz at 15, 1 oz at 10, 1 oz at 5, and 3 oz WP at 180. 5oz DH. Overkill? Beersmith is predicting 67 IBU, which is pretty typical for my NEIPAs.

I love Citra/Mosaic but it’s just played out as a combo. I’ve had it so many times it’s just boring.

You should look at Simcoe again man. I used to be in the same boat as you. I got a lb of 2018 Simcoe recently from YCH that is insane, even for being 2018. So much passion fruit!

For single hop beers I usually go for a large dose at 30, a similar to slightly smaller dose at 5, then .75-1oz/gallon WP. I used to be always WP at 180 but have actually upped it lately to right below 200 and let it fall. But your amounts look good. 5oz should be plenty of Sabro for DH

I did a 100% Sabro beer when I first got them a few years ago I think. The tropical fruit qualities of Sabro are pretty nuts however the dill/cedar/wood character is just too strong for me to want to use it at even more than 5%. It’s so potent and unique that it really stands out.

Exactly this^^^

Plus in my single experience three years ago when it was still an experimental hop, the onion smell/taste was overpowering. I like onions, but they don't always like me, so I generally go very conservative when using them in cooking or seasoning. My 'experimental' beer was 100% Sabro hopped. The judges in the competition liked it (2nd or 3rd Place in Class IIRC) but the beer was a one-and-done for me. I understand that the expression of onion in Sabro varies a lot with the year it is grown. This was probably a 2015 or 2016 crop. I made a hop tincture with the 4 oz I found "lost" in the freezer a few months back, but chucked it out without using it when the onion aroma got too strong. I never did get the promised tropical fruit notes, but sure got the dill, wood and especially onion.

I love Citra/Mosaic but it’s just played out as a combo. I’ve had it so many times it’s just boring.

You should look at Simcoe again man. I used to be in the same boat as you. I got a lb of 2018 Simcoe recently from YCH that is insane, even for being 2018. So much passion fruit!

For single hop beers I usually go for a large dose at 30, a similar to slightly smaller dose at 5, then .75-1oz/gallon WP. I used to be always WP at 180 but have actually upped it lately to right below 200 and let it fall. But your amounts look good. 5oz should be plenty of Sabro for DH
If it's more potent than Galaxy, I'm afraid to boil it for 30 at 16%AA. I don't boil Galaxy at all anymore. It's just too much for me. I prefer it in the WP and DH only.

Maybe I will have to look into Simcoe again. My brew buddy loves it too.

If it's more potent than Galaxy, I'm afraid to boil it for 30 at 16%AA. I don't boil Galaxy at all anymore. It's just too much for me. I prefer it in the WP and DH only.

Maybe I will have to look into Simcoe again. My brew buddy loves it too.

Polyphenols are what causes the harshness of Galaxy and Vic Secret and Topaz and Enigma not necessarily the potency of the hop. Sabro should be much lower in polyphenols than the Aussie stuff... most, if not all, US hops are.

Exactly this^^^

Plus in my single experience three years ago when it was still an experimental hop, the onion smell/taste was overpowering. I like onions, but they don't always like me, so I generally go very conservative when using them in cooking or seasoning. My 'experimental' beer was 100% Sabro hopped. The judges in the competition liked it (2nd or 3rd Place in Class IIRC) but the beer was a one-and-done for me. I understand that the expression of onion in Sabro varies a lot with the year it is grown. This was probably a 2015 or 2016 crop. I made a hop tincture with the 4 oz I found "lost" in the freezer a few months back, but chucked it out without using it when the onion aroma got too strong. I never did get the promised tropical fruit notes, but sure got the dill, wood and especially onion.

Hmmm. I’ve never got any onion from the few pounds I’ve purchased which started in maybe 2017 or 2018? Can’t remember. It’s actually been some of the best smelling hops I’ve bought from the US. I did smell a buddy’s LupoMax Sabro the other day that was heavy onion/garlic though.

So I just finished brewing an all Sabro. Hops smelled amazing out of the bag! Orange creamsicle. Added first charge at 20, and it smelled great. By the end of the whirlpool it now smells like leather. No citrus or tropical fruits. Smells like tea and leather. I'm not a fan of the aroma at all, so I hope the yeast do their thing and pull out the good stuff. Be interesting to see how this turns out. Yakima Valley 2019 14.3%.

Last edited:
Interestingly, lots of what in hearing about Sabro reminds me of my feelings about Sorachi Ace. I got 500g for free to play with, and didn't know what to expect with all the wild descriptors (for Sorachi lots of descriptors like dill, general herbaceousness, lemongrass, etc...crazy stuff). I opened the bag and it was so herbaceous it was nuts! Never smelled a hop that was anything like em. Whirlpooled 50g in an NEIPA centered around cashmere, and initially planned to throw another 50g into the dry hop, but fermenter samples already had this subtle herbaceous complexity that could easily become dominant and ruin the beer, so I left it out of the dry hop.

Since then I've use small amounts of Sorachi in a white IPA and have designed a NESIPA to include some as well. At 5-10 percent, it adds a wonderful complexity, and an almost-creamy quality that I've gotten from commercial sabro beers, but I would be wary of going higher.

I'm thinking Sabro is safer to go higher, closer to 20-25 percent, because it adds so much fruit also, but we'll see. I have a half pound on the way and I'm very excited to use them 🙂.

Interesting. Due to the derecho that pummelled us in early August, I haven't been around much or brewed at all. Planning a NEIPA tomorrow and decided to give Sabro a try. Galaxy is a favorite of mine for NEIPA so I thought, why not try them together. I'm throwing in some Cascade for fun too.

My hop plan:
1 oz Cascade - boil 5 mins
2 oz Cascade - WP 30 mins at 170
4 oz Sabro - SP 30 mins at 170
3 oz Galaxy - DH as ferm winds down (Usually about 36 hrs after pitch)
4 oz Galaxy - DH on Day 3

Reading this, I'm wondering about Sabro as a WP addition along with the quantity. Thoughs?

I first tried Sabro earlier this year in an IPA, bittered with Cascade and paired the Sabro with Citra late. Fermented on Kveiking (my first try using that yeast), and I got HUGE pineapple flavor/aroma with a subtle coconuttiness that was sometimes elusive. I've done it a couple times since, with no bittering hop, to let these hops shine. Today I'm brewing it again, but fermenting on Notty for a cleaner yeast profile, and pairing with Citra Lupomax. Should be another good one.

All kegged and carbed. Not a fan of Sabro as a single hop beer at all. Smelled awful in the whirlpool, like tea. Get zero coconut. Tastes like tree bark, leather and medicine. Very potent. Not at all what they smell like out of the bag.

Back