Saaz / Styrian Goldings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illomenbrewery

Reaction score
Hey guys just wondering if anyone has any good recipes using Saaz or Styrian Goldings hops? I have some left over from my last brew day. Any ideas?

Patersbier. 10 lbs pils, 1 lb sugar. Single infusion. Bitter with whatever. 1 oz St. Goldings at 30 and 15. IBU 40. OG around 1.056. Use any abbey/trappist strain and ferment mid 60s.

Styrian Goldings and Saaz go well in Belgian styles. I use Styrian Goldings as a bittering addition in my tripel and rye saison. Saaz goes in for flavor in my tripel and aroma in my rye saison.

They both work well in Belgians.

I do a very basic tripel that is super easy and very tasty. 80% Belgian pils, 20% sugar. Hop with Saaz. BU:GU ratio of .375. 2/3 of the IBU's at 60, the other 1/3 at 30. Sometimes I even do a small dry hop just before bottling. Yeast of your choice. I like 3787, 1388, or 1214. All Give different flavors.

S

They are a cracker in a saison and they work well in a British Golden ale too. For example, 9lb Maris Otter, 1.5oz Saaz @60m, 1oz Saaz @15m, 1oz Styrians @15m, 1oz Styrians to steep, aiming at a very clean ~5% abv golden ale with around 40IBU. Many commercial breweries blend half British pale malt and half Pilsner / Lager malt. (Can't wait for the new BJCP guidelines that cover Golden Ales and properly talk about Strong Bitter come out...)

Yeah bitters/golden ales

I did a sort of Harviestoun Ptarmigan clone that used lots of saaz to finish, was nice. Challenger to bitter though, styrians/saaz would be fine

Landlord has styrians to finish i think and Deuchars did at least when it was good iirc

I just made a golden promise / Styrian goldings SMaSH and it turned out very nice. The SG has an herbal/spicy/grassy quality that's awesome

A Pilsner Urquell clone I made last year used only Saaz....used like 80 lbs. of that s**t. Turned out pretty good.

I also like goldings (ekg or styrian) in my saisons.

I find a saaz dry hop in any lightly flavored beer (blond, helles, wheat, etc) to be excellent

I use Saaz in my spotted cow clone. Light cream ale. As mentioned above, lighter styles.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back