Saaz Hops - Currently Unavailable

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

64stangman

Reaction score
I've been searching for CZ Saaz hops for quite sometime and noticed that most suppliers are "out of stock" (as of this post).

Anyone know what's the deal? Is this typical of Saaz this time of year?

Do you know a place which has a fresh stock? or suggestions for an alternative hop?
According to Scot Janish's site: Hallertau, Willamette, and TETTNANG are the closest in oil composition.
I made a fine Pilsner with Willamette, but I sure miss the Saaz.

Suggestions/Comments?

I googled cz saaz hops and checked the shopping tab. There were quite a few results.

I have been disappointed in a lot of the Saaz I have gotten over the past couple years. I have pretty much went to using Hallertau/Tettnang combo. I also use a bit of sterling for bittering some times.

I was told by my lhbs owner that very popular hops are going to be hard to come by as the 2017 crops are selling fast. I was looking for centennial but he named 10-12 types that he wouldn't be able to restock.

Bummer, but it lets me try new stuff.

I would say Tettnang... it is not a perfect match but it has a spicyness like Saaz IMO where Sterling and Hallertau seems to be lacking this (although great hops in a german style).

Back