S33 flavour profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankvw

Reaction score
The opinions on Fermentis S33 yeast seem to differ wildly. Some consider it a yeast suitable for Belgian ales, others don't. Some would use it for brewing an English ale, others wouldn''t. Some swear by it, some swear at it.

Bottom line: I'm looking for a low attenuation yeast for a sweet stout, Scottish ale and/or English barley wine. Here in South Africa we do have some liquid yeasts (smack packs) available, but they're few and far between, and horridly expensive. Therefore (given the fact that I'm still learning, and I tend to learn from mistakes only) I first want to give it a try with one of the affordable dry yeasts available locally, and currently S33 has piqued my interest.

What are your experiences with S33? I tried a sweet stout with Danstar Nottingham Ale yeast (which is a high attenuation yeast, although it still has a relatively sweet-ish flavour profile) and it came out relatively light-bodied and dry. I also did a Belgian strong ale using T58, though, and that came out very sweet. S33 seems closer to T58 in that respect than any other dry yeast i have seen.

Your opinions on the matter would be appreciated!

// FvW

"Friends, Romans, countrymen... Lend me your beers!"

Back