S23

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shamrock28

Reaction score
Why i decided to read the back package of an S23 Lager yeast beats me but i did and have a question....

It says use 11.5 grams in 20-30 liters at ROOM temperature and 2 packages at temperature between (51-59) degrees.

A package is 11.5 grams

I was always under the impression that my one packet was more than enough for a 5 gallon batch and i pitched it at 53....

Thoughts, comments?

One 11g packet of ale yeast is generally more than enough for a low-mid gravity 5 gallon batch. Maybe that's what you're thinking of. Lager pitching rates are usually much higher, I believe, maybe as much as double. I don't brew lagers, but I know people generally pitch more. A higher gravity lager, like a bock, will also require a greater pitching rate, of course. Anyway, others who brew lagers frequently may know more specifics, but I'd imagine that's the reason.

You need a higher cell count for pitching at lower temp. Therefore 1pkg. @ room temp. is fine for ales but 2 are required for lagers pitched below ~ 60F.

I pitched it at 9am its about 3pm with a stopper and airlock, to late to add another packet?

Back