s05 vs winsor experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheephrdr

Reaction score
Hi I recently brewed the nierra sevada clone recipe 10 gal and split into two 5 gal carboys, pitched hydrated s05 into one and danster winsor into the other. winsor started active fermentation within a few hours and high kaurison later that evening and totally dropping out 1.5 days later. S05 was going nuts the next morning and has been high kaurison and churning going strong on day 3 now. I took a gravity on the winsor because it started to clear and seemed to bottom out at 1.016 which was pretty high for a 1.040 og beer. I tried something ive never done and it seems to be working.. I took a couple turkey basters from the s05 karuason and pitched into the dansters batch.. few hours later and its bubbling again and signs of fermentation again. we will see what happens.

Yes the FG on the Windsor was on the high side, but it's known to be a low attenuating yeast.

I'm sure it'll probably be fine either way, but I find myself wondering why you wouldn't want to just roll with whatever you got with the Windsor. To me, the whole point of splitting a batch in such a way is to see what two different yeasts bring to a recipe.

I've also had that same kind of result when using Windsor. I like to use Windsor on ESB-Type beers where a little sweetness is acceptable.
S-05 is probably the most fool-proof yeast out there, unfortunately its super one-dimensional with its flavor profile. A pale ale will have almost the same taste and or mouthfeel compared to a IPA. Of the dry yeasts out there, I like s-04 as it has some pleasent esters left behind and sometimes some fruity notes.

mattdee.. I know what you mean but I also wanted to try and see if it worked.. by adding 05 yeast.. I don't think it will change the flavor profile but will make it a little dryer as I'm not a big fan of sweet beers. I should have bought 04 instead of winsor, just wanted to try it out..

I was going to pitch bothe with 05 and dry hop differently but didn't have time to make starter of 05 and only had the two packets of yeast.

ill be interested to see how each turns out.

Back