S05 Non Runner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack_0106

Reaction score
Howdy Folks,

Brewed an Irish Red ale over the weekend. Everything went smoothly except I was under on my fermenter batch size which turned out at 19ltr instead of the 20ltr I was aiming for. Not the end of the world. Poured the wort into my fermenter via the tap on my boiler so it's got plenty of oxygenation. OG was 1.048 and pitched the yeast (S05) at around 20 degrees Celsius. I also dosed the batch with 4 tea spoons of yeast nutrient. I've googled the appropriate temps for S05 and I'm right in the money with ambient temp in the room too.

Its been 3 days and I haven't seen any signs of fermentation. My last smash beer kicked off after a day. I know airlock activity isn't a good indicator but I have refrained from opening the fermenter for a gravity reading.

Any ideas why its taking so long?

appropriate temps for S05 and I'm right in the money with ambient temp in the room
What temperature range did you find for US-05?

Can you provide current room temperature (as well as the room temperature daily high/low)?

If the room cooled down to around 60F the first night, that would cool the wort as well. At 60F, I found that US-05 can be a very, very slow start.

airlock activity isn't a good indicator
Airlock activity isn't a good indicator.

I know airlock activity isn't a good indicator...
... of (active) fermentation taking place.

There can well be "gas" leak somewhere. Often the reason is that the lid doesn't seal well enough on the bucket rim. You could try to press down along the edge of the lid, going all the way around, to see it would seal better.

But it's easier to remove the airlock temporarily and peak inside that hole. Maybe use a flashlight along with it? If it's a plastic fermenter you could shine it through the side while peaking through the airlock hole.

Use good sanitation when removing and replacing the airlock.

What temperature range did you find for US-05?

Can you provide current room temperature (as well as the room temperature daily high/low)?

If the room cooled down to around 60F the first night, that would cool the wort as well. At 60F, I found that US-05 can be a very, very slow start.

Airlock activity isn't a good indicator.

According to craft a brew , temp range is 54F to 77F and my ambient temp during the day is 59F and maybe 51 over night if we don't have the heating on. Might be a tad cold at night but I have the fermenter wrapped in blankets.

... of (active) fermentation taking place.

There can well be "gas" leak somewhere. Often the reason is that the lid doesn't seal well enough on the bucket rim. You could try to press down along the edge of the lid, going all the way around, to see it would seal better.

But it's easier to remove the airlock temporarily and peak inside that hole. Maybe use a flashlight along with it? If it's a plastic fermenter you could shine it through the side while peaking through the airlock hole.

Use good sanitation when removing and replacing the airlock.

Yeah I have positive pressure in the airlock and it bubbles when I press the lid down

Standing on a cold, cement floor perhaps? That can drain off a lot of heat. Nope - sitting on carpet in my office on the second floor of my house

How can you tell? - Because there is gas pushing the liquid in airlock to one side

That's not a good test, you could be pressing just air out, then sucking air back in when releasing the lid. It was in reference to the bucket being sealed

According to craft a brew , temp range is 54F to 77F and my ambient temp during the day is 59F and maybe 51 over night if we don't have the heating on. Might be a tad cold at night but I have the fermenter wrapped in blankets.
A number of years ago, I brewed a couple of times with US-05 in the 58F to 62F range (but with a very stable room temperature). It was very, very slow starting.

The wide daily high/low temperature range is outside of my experience.

:mug:

Back