S Type Airlock Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrgrimm101

Reaction score
It's my first time using an S Type Airlock. I'm aging some mead. I am using 1 Gallon glass carboys and a size 6 stopper (which went in almost all the way.)

My question is, what should the level of sanitizer look like inside the airlock? I'm not used to them. I'm assuming that the pressure will draw most of the sanitizer into one of the little tanks.

Photo 1 is an airlock that I think is right. The level of the liquid is in between the tanks. Photo 2 I'm not sure about. Am I losing pressure? Is it still airtight if the liquid is in both tanks? The bung is pushed in pretty much all the way.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20180130_082622.jpg
    20180130_082622.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 105
  • 20180130_082610.jpg
    20180130_082610.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 94
Both are fine. One just has slightly more pressure in it. They wont draw sanitizer back in unless a drain is open which you don't have on your ferm bottles. Nothing to worry about.

Both are fine. One just has slightly more pressure in it. They wont draw sanitizer back in unless a drain is open which you don't have on your ferm bottles. Nothing to worry about.
Great thank you. I wanted to make sure it was airtight and that no oxygen could get in. I was worried the bung isn't holding airtight. Like I said it's pretty much all way in so I don't know another solution. The size 6.5 bung is too big.

Great thank you. I wanted to make sure it was airtight and that no oxygen could get in. I was worried the bung isn't holding airtight. Like I said it's pretty much all way in so I don't know another solution. The size 6.5 bung is too big.

Starting out don't over fill them, just under the max lines is good. All the fluid gets pushed to one chamber. Quick easy way to verify everything is sealed and working properly as opposed to the other kind.
I get the hollow 6.5 bungs to fit. The opening / bung must be dry. It's a tight fit but it holds well, i use downward pressure and twist.
The solid 6 bungs are a little bit easier to seal / push through entirely / harder to remove.

Starting out don't over fill them, just under the max lines is good. All the fluid gets pushed to one chamber. Quick easy way to verify everything is sealed and working properly as opposed to the other kind.
I get the hollow 6.5 bungs to fit. The opening / bung must be dry. It's a tight fit but it holds well, i use downward pressure and twist.
The solid 6 bungs are a little bit easier to seal / push through entirely / harder to remove.
That was my mistake.. the 6.5 I had was wet when I put it in so it barely went in at all. I dried the size 6 with a clean paper towel and it fits good it's just pushed in all the way. I've gotten it to wiggle out a bit but then the pressure drops.

Back