S-05 Fermentation time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhermetz

Reaction score
Currently I'm having the longest primary fermentation I've ever had.

Cream of three crops was brewed on Saturday Feb.20th. I checked it this morning, 4 days since I saw active fermentation going on and it's still going as strong as day 2. The Krausen level is almost in need of a blow off and it is showing no signs of slowing down! It's nuts... normally at this point the krausen is starting or has already fallen down. I think mine is still rising!

Would this have to do with the yeast and the fact Cream of Three Crops is supposed to Ferment really low? My average brew is done at 1.010.... I have a feeling this one may get down to 1.00.

I see nothing unusual about the fermentation you described. What temp are you fermenting at?

have you used 05 before? when i do it usually has airlock activity for atleast a week... its not the quickest in the world. s04 on the other hand rips through in a few days. i wouldnt count on 1.00, but i've seen 1008 with 05.

have you used 05 before? when i do it usually has airlock activity for atleast a week... its not the quickest in the world. s04 on the other hand rips through in a few days. i wouldnt count on 1.00, but i've seen 1008 with 05.

Just last weekend actually. An Oktoberfest PM with an initial of 1.045 and a final of 1.08. It was pitched onto a cake though.

it's sitting pretty at 65 degrees. I'm sure it's normal, I've just never experienced such a long, violent Fermentation before. It's cool!

Yeah, S-05 brought our pale ale down to 1.006. Not to mention it has been working away on our Amber for the past 4 days---I love the stuff.

Yes, SafAle is a good universal, dependable, neutral tasting yeast with low ester production that ferments well over a wide range of temperatures. I like it and it is ideal to help beginners to sort out their brewing difficulties by eliminating funky yeast tastes.

I used it in EdWort's Apfelwein in place of the Montrachet. It fermented with visible activity for at least 3 weeks. Good stuff.

I always keep a couple of packets of SafAle in the refrigerator.

I brewed the Brewer's Best Oktoberfest kit at low ale temps. I don't know what yeast was in it, their list just said it was one that "performs well at ale and lager temps". Turned out to be a fine beer, my relatives ran me dry over the holidays.

I find that in the mid to upper 60's, US-05 takes four full days after pitching, so five including brew day. In the seventies less time and a lot more fruity notes. In low sixties, I find that it can stall out and so you might actually be fermenting a little cooler than you thought.

I know everything is fine but I'm just curious about another thing I've noticed about this yeast.

The Krausen is VERY very creamy. Like the yeast just up and decided to float on the bubbles rather then the beer! I never experienced that. My main concern is that fermentation has actually slowed down but the krausen won't lower because the bubbles are sort of "Reinforced" by this creamy Krausen.

I know everything is fine but I'm just curious about another thing I've noticed about this yeast.

The Krausen is VERY very creamy. Like the yeast just up and decided to float on the bubbles rather then the beer! I never experienced that. My main concern is that fermentation has actually slowed down but the krausen won't lower because the bubbles are sort of "Reinforced" by this creamy Krausen.

Rebooting an old thread... I have this very thing happening to me right now with an amber ale I brewed last Saturday. It's been 9.5 days and the foamy layer is still very thick and hasn't fallen yet. To boot, there are still quite a bit of bubbles rising to the surface.

I haven't "theifed" a sample to gravity test yet, but S05 hasn't done this to me before. No signs of infection, she's super healthy. What's up with this?

Pitched at 65 and held at no more than 67 liquid temp.

Back