S-04 temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spiffcow

Reaction score
So I've got a bit of a problem in that I need to brew up my Orfy's Hobgoblin clone soon (the grains are already crushed), but my freezer can only hold one batch at a time, and it's currently holding a lager that won't be ready for the next 8 weeks. The S-04 documentation says the temperature can get up to 75*, and I can probably keep it in that range with ambient air temp in my house.. But what kind of ester profile will I be getting at that temp? I can take my lager out and ferment the Hobgoblin clone at a lower temp if necessary, but if it'll get a good profile at 75*, I'd rather just do that.

Hmm...I'm not sure if you mean in the range of 75ºF ambient or 75ºF fermentation temp, but both sound very high (and the former sounds extremely high). If your lager has been going for a few weeks already, I would kick it out of the freezer for a couple of days and let the hobgoblin be in a controlled environment for the first 4-5 days of its life. Then, once the hobgoblin has completed its active fermentation, pull it out and let the lager keep on lagering.

Back