S-04, Notty WLP002 and British Esters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winvarin

Reaction score
I'm writing this in hopes that somebody can confirm that I may just not like British yeasts. It's either that or I have made 3 duds in the last year that just happened to have a similar yeast in common.

In the past year, I have made 3 beers with 2 different strains of British style yeasts.

I first made an Oatmeal stout (all grain) with WLP002 in early 2011. After bottling and allowing to condition about 3 weeks, I tasted it an noticed an "off" flavor. The flavor is really hard to describe but it seemed to be almost "clovey". Not quite as spicy as cloves but it didn't quite seem right in the beer. It was much more prevalent when the beer was cold, and almost disappeared when the beer warmed up.

I then made a standard bitter (also all grain, Feb-March 2011). It had an aroma that was similar to the one from the stout, but it took on a more artificial character, almost like the smell of warm/burning plastic. It was pretty hard to narrow this one down as the beer went south pretty fast due to an infection I traced back to a cut in an old transfer hose. I pitched out the hose and this beer pretty quick, so I never did any further troubleshooting.

Fast-forward to November. I made another Oatmeal Stout, this time from an extract kit. It had some non-yeast problems to begin with. I did a full wort boil and miscalculated my boil off. I didn't boil off enough water so I wound up 8-10 points shy on my OG, and the beer is more of a dark brown than black. I also got distracted during the boil and put both my 30 and 10 min additions in at 30 min. So it's got more of a bite from the Cascades than I was wanting.

But this thread is about yeast. I used S-04 for the first time. Rehydrated in boiled and cooled water. Pitched at about 68F.

My first sign of trouble was the temp this beer spent the critical first 72 hours at. I pitched on a Sunday night with the stick on thermometer showing 68F and my fermentation fridge set at and holding a respectable 65F. When I got home Monday night, the stick on thermometer was registering between 72 and 74, meaning that it was surely hotter than that in the wort. I took to the forums and was assured that this yeast is a hot fermenter and my best bet was to try to keep it at bay with my fridge controller.

I did that, but I tried to bring it down gradually, not wanting to shut the yeast down by cold crashing it. As a result, it took me almost a day and a half to get it to stay consistently between 66 and 68F.

I do a 3 week primary with most of my ales, then straight to the keg if the gravity has dropped and stayed steady. But at 3 weeks, this one, even with the hot start, was still a couple of points higher than I would have expected, even if I had not missed my OG. I left it an extra week for good measure and got another 3 points out of it. After 4 days of steady readings, I kegged.

At kegging I immediately noticed the same "hot plastic" aroma that I'd had with the 002 earlier in the year. Tasting it, it had a flavor that matched the aroma. The only difference from the 002 batch is that the aromas and flavors are much stronger with s-04 than they were with the white labs yeast. A few weeks down the road, the plastic-y aroma is still there. But the flavor has settled to more of a strong clovey taste. Both of these dissipate as the beer warms. I did wind up getting more spashing than I had anticipated when kegging, so it's possible that there is a bit of oxidation at play as well.

So I pose the following questions:
1. Do these sound like fermentation related flaws, or is this just a standard ester profile for a British yeast?
2. If its the esters that come standard with British yeasts, did I just accentuate it by letting the temp get out of hand with the s-04? Or is the profile that much stronger with s-04 than it is with wlp002?
3. I have another extract beer on deck (got a couple as a gift from a family member and am just trying to get them brewed while the ingredients are still relatively fresh). This one is a Fuller's London Pride clone from highgravity.com. I have a packet of Notty (which I have also never brewed with) to use with it. My experience with the s-04 has left me a little gun shy. How does Notty rate in terms of ester profile vs. s-04? Am I going to be able to suppress them somewhat if I ferment cold enough? Or am I in line for another clovey, plasticy beer?

Note: Before anybody starts up the long primary vs. primary/secondary argument again ... I am in the long primary crowd. But that being said, I would be perfectly willing to accept that on this most recent beer (the extract stout) that the combination of a hot ferment plus just a touch more than a month on the primary yeast cake, could have resulted in some degree of autolysis (and the plastic aroma/flavor). Add to that the fact that my beer was shy on gravity anyway, and I can see where the flavor would really stand out.

I hear you and came to the conclusion that I just don't like certain yeast strains. I keep it simple and stick with brewing Ales. Try US-05. If you like it, use it in everything like I do.

Hot plastic flavors aren't esters- instead they are phenols. That doesn't usually come from British yeast, more from Belgian yeast strains. Another source of phenols is chlorine in the brewing water, infection, and stressed yeast.

Esters do come standard on many British yeast strains. S04 gets estery above 68 degrees, but I ferment it at 62 degrees and it's super "clean" at that temperature. When those British yeast flavors come out, then tend to be a bit fruity, maybe like pears or apples, but definitely not like cloves.

BendBrewer said:
I hear you and came to the conclusion that I just don't like certain yeast strains. I keep it simple and stick with brewing Ales. Try US-05. If you like it, use it in everything like I do.

That's the kicker. There are a number of British beers I enjoy. And I am sure most of them are brewed with one English strain or another. After the s-04 beer was kegged, I did some reading and found that it seems to be particularly strong in terms of esters.

I also thought that I might have spoiled my palate a bit. I spent most of the summer brewing with us05. It's entirely possible that I am used to its clean finish as well

You can ferment Notty cold (60-62*) and it should stay clean. Or you can just chuck it into the boil as yeast food and pitch US-05 as BendBrewer said.

Hot plastic flavors aren't esters- instead they are phenols. That doesn't usually come from British yeast, more from Belgian yeast strains. Another source of phenols is chlorine in the brewing water, infection, and stressed yeast.

Esters do come standard on many British yeast strains. S04 gets estery above 68 degrees, but I ferment it at 62 degrees and it's super "clean" at that temperature. When those British yeast flavors come out, then tend to be a bit fruity, maybe like pears or apples, but definitely not like cloves.

Wonder if it's stress then? I know I got over 74F for quite some time on the stout that's been the most striking.

Not likely to be chlorine. I used 100% bottled distilled water on this one. I sanitize with StarSan, so not likely bleach. And everything gets a good oxyclean soak (kegs and fermenters) after use for drinking or fermenting. All of my other cold side brewday gear gets a good heavy rinse and dry at the end of brew day. On brew day itself, everything gets a rinse to ensure there is no dust or anything on it. Then a thorough StarSan bath before touching the wort

Wonder if it's stress then? I know I got over 74F for quite some time on the stout that's been the most striking.

Not likely to be chlorine. I used 100% bottled distilled water on this one. I sanitize with StarSan

It would be strange to have three different brews exhibit this flavor, though, even if it is stressed yeast. I know nottingham gets positively foul if it goes over 72 degrees or so- so it's possible that the other strains do too. Nottingham is awesome under 72 degrees, particularly at 60 degrees, but gets hot and solventy over 72 degrees.

I did have an infection caused by transfer equipment last year. But I replaced everything in my transfer rig after that and fermented/bottled/kegged several clean beers with it before this stout that has been the most trouble. And that most recent stout, I used brand-new tubing on kegging day.

I'm really scratching my head on this one

It sounds like you are fermenting too warm and possibly under-pitching/oxygenating.

British yeast can be very finicky as their fermentation characteristics are easily impacted by pitch temp, aeration, cell count, and ferment temp. It is a good rule of thumb to pitch low (64F) and slowly bring the ferment temp up to no more than 68F (for most strains) by high krausen. Also, underpitching British strains is a sure way to get harsh esters, same with insufficient aeration.

Also, realize that Notty and S-04 are notorious for throwing bad esters at warm temps. I use Notty probably once a year and I always make sure to keep it under 65F. S-04 is another strain that once you let get around 70F, it will ruin the beer. Lastly, wy1968/wlp002 can be a tricky yeast to get the most out of. It likes lots of oxygen and a pretty healthy yeast pitch - at a low temp. Moreover, since it is such a high flocculator, the yeast can get reactivated in the bottle, leading to over carbonation and off flavors.

I used s04 all the time, probably more than any other strain, and I've never had flavors quite like that.

Some yeasts handle higher temperatures (lower 70s) well, but I think that 74+ early in fermentation sounds too high for this strain. I pitched too high (72) once in the middle of summer because my chiller water was too warm and the batch sucked. The flavors went beyond the fruity esters I expected and threw some slightly phenolic off flavors, but more medicinal than "hot plastic" or clove. It was pretty nasty. After that I cooled the beer down to appropriate pitching temperature whether that meant I could pitch immediately or not. Problem solved. I try to keep the beer itself (not the ambient / fridge temp) no higher than 67 the first three days of active fermentation and I get a hint of mellow fruity esters. The subtle pear / sweet apple that you see mentioned regularly is part of it, but the flavor is a little more complex than that as well.

With that said, I don't like the strain in stouts. I almost always use US-05 or Nottingham for those. The astringency of the roasted grains & the esters of the s-04 don't go together well in my opinion.

As I mentioned in my previous post, s04 gets funky in my experience when it gets much above 70 early in fermentation.

It would be strange to have three different brews exhibit this flavor, though, even if it is stressed yeast. I know nottingham gets positively foul if it goes over 72 degrees or so- so it's possible that the other strains do too. Nottingham is awesome under 72 degrees, particularly at 60 degrees, but gets hot and solventy over 72 degrees.

Like Notti a lot when it is held cold like Yooper stated. For whatever reason I don't like S-04. I've used it 4 times and eveytime I say it is the last time I use it. Who know maybe i'll use it again. :drunk: I think it would be hard to say with the higher ferment temps. Try them again at a controlled lower primary temp.

OP,

First, you are a great writer. Thank you for taking the time to write like you respect the reader.

Second, what is your oxygenation procedure? I have traced the appearance of a similar off flavor to when I switched to full boils. The long boiling of the full volume was driving off most of the free oxygen that I used to re-introduce through top-off water. I switched back to partial boils and partial mashes and the problem went away.

Franc103 said:
OP,

First, you are a great writer. Thank you for taking the time to write like you respect the reader.

Second, what is your oxygenation procedure? I have traced the appearance of a similar off flavor to when I switched to full boils. The long boiling of the full volume was driving off most of the free oxygen that I used to re-introduce through top-off water. I switched back to partial boils and partial mashes and the problem went away.

Sorry. Just saw this. I use an O2 canister and a wand. 30-45 seconds at full blast. But I think I may have the culprit. Something happened last night but I can't explain in this post as I am typing this on my phone (stupid work Internet filter)

I am going to type a new post with my findings. Hopefully it will be up here in a bit.

winvarin said:
I did have an infection caused by transfer equipment last year. But I replaced everything in my transfer rig after that and fermented/bottled/kegged several clean beers with it before this stout that has been the most trouble. And that most recent stout, I used brand-new tubing on kegging day.

I'm really scratching my head on this one

Yooper,
You may actually be onto something with the infection angle. I went over my process again and again and didn’t see it at first. I was actually looking for something process or gear related.
- No scratches in the betterbottle – check
- Brand new tubing used for all transfers on this batch – check
- Boiled the wort chiller for the last 20 min of the boil – check
- Boiled and gave my oxygenation wand a starsan bath – check
- Fermenter and everything that touched the beer cold side with a good starsan soak – check, check, check

I thought, surely it could not be infection. After getting an infection in the brewhouse last year due to a small cut in a transfer hose, I have been hyper attentive to sanitation. I had to pitch 2 beers due to that (and got a couple of bottle bombs to boot). So surely it couldn’t have been infection. My gear was clean and sanitary.

And I still believe it was. My ingredients however ….

Thanks to my lovely bride for helping me put 2 and 2 together. Allow me to explain.

This beer was one of 2 that I had bought intending to knockout a couple of quick extract batches. The keezer was running low and I was wanting some variety around for the holidays. I bought the extract from a local shop that measures out and seals bulk extract in food-safe containers. I bought the ingredients for this stout, and a standard bitter. The extract was liquid, not dry. I bought the stuff on 9/21 (thank goodness I keep receipts). I got busy at work, one thing led to another and I didn’t make the first beer until 10/30. Nothing seemed off about the extract when I opened the container (but again, it was just a hand-sealed, food-safe container, not a factory-sealed can of liquid extract).

Holidays ensue. I try the stout, and take to the web to try to figure out what the off flavor/aroma are. This beer has also developed a significant problem with head retention.

The ingredients for the bitter (except hops and yeast) continue to sit at room temperature in my closet. I knockout some grain brews, which taste fine, and completely forget that the extract for my bitter is in the closet waiting to be brewed. Until yesterday when I announce my intention to brew this weekend. I tell my wife, it’s time for a trip to the brew shop. My ever-practical (and frugal) wife says to me, “When are you going to make that bitter that you bought the ingredients for months ago?”

Aha. I can brew without making a trip to the shop? Cool. Until I take a look at the food-safe container of extract. Does anybody else see where this is going?

The lid had a significant outward curve to it. The same kind of curve that would make the average cook pitch a can of green beans in the trash instead of feeding them to their family. I take the container to the sink and open it (pointing away from me of course). There is a small pop and a hiss. And the faint aroma of acetone

“Hmm,” I said to the wife. “It looks like a trip to the brew shop is in order after all.”

And then she said two things that confirm why I married this lovely woman.

First she says, “Pick up a packet of US-05. I don’t want to hear you whine about not liking the flavor of British yeast anymore.”

Then she says, “You know, I wonder if the extract for that other beer went south on you before you used it.”

Bingo!!! My theory (and confirm or debunk it if you will) is that something had gotten ahold of the extract and maybe had begun to taint it. Something that would create a funky aroma and flavor, but would have been killed by the boil. However, the flavor and aroma carried through to the finished product as the source ingredient had already been tainted.

I in no way fault the brew shop. I am sure they intend for their bulk extract to be used within a few days or a couple of weeks of purchase. Actually, the fact that the second container of extract only had a slight “bow” after 4 months instead of blowing up in my closet, is likely a testament to the fact that the run a pretty clean operation.

So what do you guys think? Plausible?

So it's only the extract batches you've had problems with?

I would stay away from the extract for a while and brew another batch or two with those yeasts and see how they turn out.

I'm assuming the "food-grade" containers the extract was stored in was plastic?? Did you heat them in any manner in order to better extract the syrup?

blackbird said:
So it's only the extract batches you've had problems with?

I would stay away from the extract for a while and brew another batch or two with those yeasts and see how they turn out.

I'm assuming the "food-grade" containers the extract was stored in was plastic?? Did you heat them in any manner in order to better extract the syrup?

It was only the extract bulk in the white plastic containers. I did not heat them beyond pouring some of the brew water in them to get the extract that was clinging to the sides.

A project at work and some non brewing personal commitments have put my brewing on hold for a few weeks. I dumped that bulk extract and just picked up some Muntons in the metal can as a replacement. Hope to brew it next weekend and get back to all grain after that.

I had hoped those 2 extract kits would allow me to turn around a couple of quick batches with a minimum of fuss. They are turning out to be more trouble than they were worth. The2 all grain batches I made in the meantime turned out great.

Just an update here. I brewed the second extract batch on 2/24. It appears the possibility of infection is now quite real. As a quick recap, I bought bulk extract for 2 batches in late September. I brewed one in late Oct and it had some terrible off flavors and aromas. By the time I looked at the canister of extract for Batch 2 in late january, the lid had swelled and the extract smelled like nail polish.

So I bought a couple of metal cans of Muntons Extra Light liquid extract and replaced the specialty grains for good measure. The only things I kept from the original kit were the hops and the packet of Notty.

Brewed on 2/24. Two weeks primary at 65-67F (since Yoop said it could get nasty if it gets warm). Detected no off esters or diacetyl at 2 weeks so I left it on the primary yeast cake but cranked the temperature down to about 56F for a week. The Danstar-Lallemand website says Notty is good to high lager temps (around 54) so I figured I would cold crash it for clarity but also get some additional clean up from the yeast.

Tasted it Saturday when I kegged it. Yum. Nice malt balanced with firm bitterness. It's on the low end of the BJCP numbers for an ESB, but just over what they have for a Special-Premium Bitter. Just a hint of fruity esters (assuming from the Notty).

So maybe I like British yeasts afterall. I just don't like infected beer.

Back