S-04 for a wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elgee

Reaction score
I got the wrong yeast by accident and ordered S-04 instead of S-05 for an American wit style, similar to blue moon. Anyone ever use this type of yeast in a wit with orange and coriander? Not sure it will be an issue, I’ve never used it before but understand it is a british yeast.

Depending on the fermentation temp you may get a strong fruity flavor. I actually like it but others might not. It can be pretty powerful and might overpower the citrus aspects you’re looking for in a wit. That being said, if you have better temp control than I do you might be fine. I’ve only ever fermented with it at 70ish. It does flocculate really well so it will probably be a clear beer.

I did a Blue Moon split batch with wlp400 ( i think) and 05. THe 05 was pretty bland the 400 had more of a Wit flavor. If I used 05 again I would up the orange and coriander,

Now that I think about it the only thing that made the beer good was the orange peel and Vodka mix I let soak for three days and dumped in the keg

Curious what your recipe is?

Cant help with 04...I gave up on it

Mine is 60/40 2 row and white wheat, ounce of Amarillo hops, and 1 ounce each of sweet orange peel, and coriander. Also adding a few tablespoons of peach marmalade.

If you let S-04 get warm (say above 68F or so) it will start producing lactic acid. The increased tartness could play well in a wit?

The real answer is to not waste a brew day/batch of beer on the wrong yeast. Order something more appropriate!

I was thinking that too. I mean, I can’t imagine it will ruin the beer, plus, I also am following the treehouse thread that you started and if that yeast produces some fruity notes, I think it will play nice with the recipe I put together.

Back