Rye Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patrck17

Reaction score
Alright well tomorrow is brew day so I went to my LHBS and picked up this recipe.

12lb Amercian 2-row
1lb Munich (german)
1lb Rye Malt
.5lb Crystal 20L
.5lb Carapils
.5lb Honey Malt

1oz Centennial 9.1% - Bitter
1oz Cascade 5.9% - Flavor
1oz Amarillo 8% - Aroma
1oz Amarillo 8% - Dry

I don't have exact times for the hop additions, I planned on doing it at 60m for bitter, 30m for flavor, and 5m for aroma. The dry hop will be in the secondary. Do those times sound okay? I think this is more hops then I usually use, but I think this beer will turn out pretty tasty, wish me luck.

If it were me, I'd drop the two-row a little and up the rye. Is it a 5 gallon batch? Pretty high OG? Nice!

I did a rye wheat with 1/3 each 2row, wheat, and rye (3lb ea). It is a little strong at 1/3 for my tastes. I had a hop rod rye last week, and thought that was a little too much rye for me as well. I did a rye-ipa (OG 1.060) with 1lb and it was very nice. For me 1 - 2 lb in a 5 Gallon batch, YMMV.

Well I just asked the LHBS guy to put me together something and he gave me this. I havn't been bold enough to just go out and try to come up with something from scratch, though I think I will try that soon. Worst that happens is I end up with... beer right, lol I can live with that. Thanks for the comments, I think I will drop the flavor at 20m

Well I just asked the LHBS guy to put me together something and he gave me this. I havn't been bold enough to just go out and try to come up with something from scratch, though I think I will try that soon. Worst that happens is I end up with... beer right, lol I can live with that. Thanks for the comments, I think I will drop the flavor at 20m

That's why I said next time. This should be a good beer and more rye will make it spicier next time

Latest posts

Back