Rye Old Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesse93

Reaction score
I'm thinking of making a beer just like the finnish Mämmi-dessert. The dessert is originally made of Water, rye flour, powdered malted rye, treacle, Seville orange zest. I want to make this to beer.

I'm thinking an OG of 1.070, ~30 EBC (15 SRM). IBU/GU 0.6

75% Pale Malt
15% Rye Malt
5% Medium Crystal Malt
10% Treacle

Using only Nugget hops at 60 mins and 15 mins.
Perhaps fermenting with Mauribrew Draught?

What do you think?

I might take up the Rye Malt, maybe also include some flaked Rye. If you want Rye to be featured, I'd think it's got to stand a chance against the molasses.

I brew a Rye beer that ends up about 1.065 more or less; in it I have 9 pounds Maris Otter, 3 pounds Rye Malt, 4 ounces flaked Rye, and 6 ounces Chocolate Wheat (mostly for color, a bit for foam). I don't see it as being overly dominated by the Rye, but it's there.

Your recipe seems a bit thin on Rye if that's the focus of the recipe.

That said, looks interesting.

I might take up the Rye Malt, maybe also include some flaked Rye. If you want Rye to be featured, I'd think it's got to stand a chance against the molasses.

I brew a Rye beer that ends up about 1.065 more or less; in it I have 9 pounds Maris Otter, 3 pounds Rye Malt, 4 ounces flaked Rye, and 6 ounces Chocolate Wheat (mostly for color, a bit for foam). I don't see it as being overly dominated by the Rye, but it's there.

Your recipe seems a bit thin on Rye if that's the focus of the recipe.

That said, looks interesting.

Thanks!

I have never brewed with rye but I will bump it up! :tank:

Thanks!

I have never brewed with rye but I will bump it up! :tank:

The other thing with Rye is that as with some adjuncts, you risk a stuck mash/sparge because Rye Malt does not have hulls in it, as Barley does.

Add 1/4 to 1/2 pound of rice hulls to make up for that. It might be ok, might not, why risk it?

The other thing with Rye is that as with some adjuncts, you risk a stuck mash/sparge because Rye Malt does not have hulls in it, as Barley does.

Add 1/4 to 1/2 pound of rice hulls to make up for that. It might be ok, might not, why risk it?

I use BIAB, I think the water to grain ratio is high enough to prevent this. I might just use 4 kilo malt to 18 litres water.

Back