Rye Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3toes

Reaction score
I'm wanting to do something spicy but clean for Fall/Winter, so I threw together a quick recipe for a rye lager.

Rock A Rye'm
SRM: 12
IBU: 25
Est. OG: 1.055
Est. FG: 1.012
ABV: 5.7%

7.5# Maris Otter
2.5# Rye malt
0.5# Melanoiden
2oz Carafa III (color)
0.5# Rice hull (filter)

0.5oz Northern Brewer @ 60min
0.5oz Northern Brewer @ 15min
0.5oz Fuggle @ 15min
0.5oz Fuggle @ 0min

WLP830 German Lager Yeast

I know larger amounts of rye can result in stuck sparges, so at the recommendation of a lot or articles I've read, I'm going to include a half-pound of rice hulls to help with that.

I wanted to choose some hops that compliment the spicy character of the rye, but I really want to let the malt shine through. I could always go with some clean, noble hops, but I really like the slight minty character of the NB hops, and the slight earthiness/spice of the Fuggles. Definitely open to suggestions there!

I've used WLP830 a ton and love how "transparent" it is, and my LHBS always has a ton of it available. But I'm open to suggestions here as well. I've also had a ton of experience and success with WLP810 San Francisco Lager.

Any thoughts? Anyone done a rye lager (or ale) and want to impart some wisdom?

Would flaked rye along with the malt add depth to the rye carictor(sp?, damn i'm stupid, lol)? I can say I love rye beer, just about anything rye related. And it sounds good already! :cask::mug:

I put the first bottle of a rye ale I brewed a month or so ago in the fridge this morning to try for the first time tonight or tomorrow. (it's been in the bottle for 2 weeks; I really should wait another week) I used about 12.5% flaked rye from the local natural food store and 6.5% German crystal rye malt. Nugget and Goldings hops, and an unknown wheat beer yeast cultured from cans of August Schell's Hefeweizen. The sample at bottling time didn't have much rye character, but I'm hoping it shines through a little after conditioning.

I like your idea of using noble hops.

Your recipe looks pretty good to me. Often I use about half that amount of rye malt as percentage of grain bill(2.5# in 20# recipe), but I should try higher percentage.

Usually I dump in a whole pound bag of rice hulls, but 1/2 pound will probably work too.

Often will use in "classic american pilsners"(aka pre prohibition lagers) or cream ales with rye instead of corn as main adjunct. Always tastes good to me.

Would flaked rye along with the malt add depth to the rye carictor(sp?, damn i'm stupid, lol)? I can say I love rye beer, just about anything rye related. And it sounds good already! :cask::mug:

I put the first bottle of a rye ale I brewed a month or so ago in the fridge this morning to try for the first time tonight or tomorrow. (it's been in the bottle for 2 weeks; I really should wait another week) I used about 12.5% flaked rye from the local natural food store and 6.5% German crystal rye malt. Nugget and Goldings hops, and an unknown wheat beer yeast cultured from cans of August Schell's Hefeweizen. The sample at bottling time didn't have much rye character, but I'm hoping it shines through a little after conditioning.

I like your idea of using noble hops.

I've heard that flaked rye doesn't quite have the same kick as milled rye malt. But I'm not opposed to adding some to help boost the malt profile!

Your recipe looks pretty good to me. Often I use about half that amount of rye malt as percentage of grain bill(2.5# in 20# recipe), but I should try higher percentage.

Usually I dump in a whole pound bag of rice hulls, but 1/2 pound will probably work too.

Often will use in "classic american pilsners"(aka pre prohibition lagers) or cream ales with rye instead of corn as main adjunct. Always tastes good to me.

I may end up doing a pound of the rice hulls just to be safe. I mean, I don't really have a reason not to. It's dirt cheap, isn't going to contribute to flavor/color, and the absorption rate can be easily accounted for.

I've actually only ever used rye at around 7% for a baltic porter recipe to help give it a bit of dryness on the back end. I love rye beer (and especially whiskey), so I'm really hoping this one turns out well.

The hard part now is waiting on brewing it... my ferm chamber is full at the moment.

I got two empty kegs :D

Oh I've got empty kegs! The problem is that my fermentation chamber is currently occupied with a Munich Dunkel that won't be ready to keg for another 2 weeks or so (depending on how it goes, I typically get crazy good attenuation from wlp830)

If you need hulls will mostly depend on the design of you mash tun. If you have a bazooka screen or similar you might struggle. If you have a false bottom you shouldn't have issues.

I will say though that rye is much more sticky than wheat. My system can handle 50% wheat malt with no impact on runnings. But when I made a 50% rye roggenbier the runnings where very slow and I used a good amount of hulls as well.

As for the recipe saaz is the obvious hop choice, though something a little citrusy like spelter select might go well to.

Personally I would also use pilsner to let the rye pop as much as possible. Imo Maria otter is to bready for a lager

I'm going to watch this with interest. I brew a Rye ale with both Rye Malt and some flaked rye. Yum!

I always include rice hulls, but you don't really need a half pound of them. Two good handfuls are going to be sufficient. My recipe has 3# of rye malt plus some flaked rye, and those handfuls work fine.

A few years ago, before I knew exactly what rice hulls were, i bought 10# of them from Ritebrew. Wow. 10# of rice hulls fills about half a normal 50# bag for grain. I have what appears to be a lifetime supply. :)

As for the recipe saaz is the obvious hop choice, though something a little citrusy like spelter select might go well to.

Personally I would also use pilsner to let the rye pop as much as possible. Imo Maria otter is to bready for a lager

Ha! Great minds on the hops! Digging through my hop draw in the fridge I found a couple ounces of both Saaz and Select Spalt and talked myself into using those instead of the NB and Fuggles the other day.

I also like your point about using some pilsner to let it shine through more. I'm such a sucker for MO though, so I'm gonna split that 7.5# into equal parts MO/Pils and see how it goes. Hell, I can always brew it again if the rye doesn't shine through like I want.

Rock A Rye'm
SRM: 12
IBU: 25.9
Est. OG: 1.054
Est. FG: 1.012
ABV: 5.7%

3.75# Maris Otter
3.75# Pilsner (German)
2.5# Rye malt
0.5# Melanoiden
2oz Carafa III (color)
TBD Rice hull (filter)

1.5oz Saaz @ 60min
0.5oz Saaz @ 15min
0.5oz Select Spalt @ 15min
0.5oz Select Spalt @ 0min

WLP830 German Lager Yeast

I'm going to watch this with interest. I brew a Rye ale with both Rye Malt and some flaked rye. Yum!

I'll definitely be updating! As it stands right now, brew-day will likely be either Oct 12 or 19.

Small update...

Brew day went off without a hitch this past weekend (Oct 26). Missed a few points on the OG; came out to 1.050 instead of 1.052... But other than that, all gravy. I also dropped the melanoiden. Seemed a little unnecessary, and thought it might take away from the "bite" of the rye. Can always toss some in next time.

Mashed @ 152*F for 60 mins
Boil was 90 mins given the pilsner malt
5.5 gals in the bucket

Did a 2-step starter with the WLP830 on a stir-plate, per usual. And as an aside, 830 is becoming my go-to lager yeast... Takes off like a bullet and finishes up pretty dang quick. I've really been happy with it.

Fermenting at 52*F in the chamber. Gonna check the gravity this weekend. I always like to give it a solid week before cracking open the bucket.

I'll continue to keep yall posted!

I would be really interested in the tasting notes when its ready.

Oh for sure, planning on it!

I'll do a flat-taster when I transfer to the keg, one when it's all carbed up, then a final one once it's been lagered for 4 weeks or so.

I can already tell this one is going to test my patience to just go ahead and put it on tap...

I was thinking the same thing for the fall season. I just kegged a rye lager a couple days ago. Now the waiting game. My grain bill was a little more complex than usual for lagers.

69% Pils
10% Vienna
11% Rye
4% Flaked Rye
2.5% Crystal Rye 90L
1 % Perla Negra 340L

All Sterling hops and 34/70 lager yeast. I took a few samples off the fermenter and the Rye was really poppin. I don’t think I will be able to wait too long to start drinking this one.

Gravity was already at 1.012 after a week, so I started the slow rise to 65 for the D-rest.

Planning on getting it in the keg by the 14th so I can pour a few tasters at Thanksgiving. Or full servings if everything is tasting clean!

Update time!

The beer has been sitting in the keg with 12psi head-pressure @ 38*F to carbonate for about a week now. Took a few samples yesterday and it's not quite as carbonated as I thought it'd be at this point. We'll see how it looks on Thanksgiving.

Mouthfeel is ever-so-slightly astringent, which I don't mind, but I think next time I need to get a better handle on my mash pH.

The taste is really good and pretty much gets at exactly what I was going for. Good, clean lager profile (still a tad green, but that'll condition out). It's got a good rye-bite to it, but honestly I think next time I'm going to bump it up from 25% rye to 30%. That or I'm gonna take out the MO and stick to just Pils for my base malt. I'm just too much of a sucker for MO. All that being said, I think this is going to make for a great winter lager.

I'll continue to update as it ages a little bit. If anyone has questions, feel free!

I recall someone on a home distiller's board commenting that rye flour gave more rye character than rye malt. No guarantee this applies to beer as well as whiskey.

I bought some rye and oats from a local farmer. Both came unhulled, IIRC. Thinking I'll try brewing with one or both one of these days.

Made a few. The last was 50% pilsner and rye with loads of oat husks and it got stuck. Boiling floury wort on my system can result in scorching if not careful so will reduce it to 30% next time.
Tried it with crystal rye as well and preferred it without. I used saaz and bohemian yeast but also tried it with citra and amarillo but I prefer it with the noble hops.

Time for another update!

After another month of conditioning, the green taste has dissipated. I'm super happy with how this turned out, but next time may up it to 30% rye just to see the difference.

The flavor is a great balance of spicy, earthy, and "robust" (probably the best way I can describe it). Wonderful winter lager.

It also seems like a great base for some extra flavors. I think my next batch will be 10 gallons with 5 being the same recipe, and the other 5 adding some vanilla bean.

Latest posts

Back