Rye ipa feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
I was inspired by watching a YouTube review of a Westbrook ipa that used some rye in it and I've been meaning to try my shot at a rye pale ale/ ipa so I thought up this recipe. I'm using 2 row for a plain malt base to showcase the hops and rye, a touch of crystal for a little sweetness to balance with the malt and spiciness of the rye and I'm going to use magnum to bitter and all Galaxy for a tropical punch, Calculated to 69.5 ibus, OG of 1.059, Mashing at 152 for 60min so projected FG is 1.013 but I'm expecting it to drop between 1.010-11 with a washed batch of Wlp001 as I always seem to be a point or two low.

10.5lbs Briess 2 row (79%)
2lbs malted rye (15%)
.5lb c20 (4%)
.15lb carapils (1.9%)
1lb rice hulls

.5 oz magnum @60 22ibu
1oz Galaxy @ 10 17ibu
1.5oz Galaxy @5 14ibu
3.5oz Galaxy hopstand/whirlpool @ 170 for 30 min

3oz dry hop Galaxy

Looks like a great RyePA to me. I was thinking about brewing Jester Kings this weekend, might try yours instead. Haven't used Galaxy yet anyway, should be fun.

I'll use Munich instead of C20, because I have that in stock.

Maybe Galaxy but I know there's a rye can't think of what it is but it uses citra as its sole hop.

Looks good I have a pretty good sessionable rye pale ale that uses mostly Galaxy & it's great!

Didn't see your post that looks like a nice recipe. Now did you use rice hulls, I've heard it's good to include them as rye like wheat gets pretty sticky in the mash. I forgot to buy my rice hulls but wondered if you had any problems with a stuck mash.

Didn't see your post that looks like a nice recipe. Now did you use rice hulls, I've heard it's good to include them as rye like wheat gets pretty sticky in the mash. I forgot to buy my rice hulls but wondered if you had any problems with a stuck mash.

I BIAB so stuck mash/sparge isn't an issue for me. If you aren't doing BIAB, you may want some rice hulls with that much rye.

Back