Rye beer - Single Infusion alright?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auspice

Reaction score
Next week I'm planning on brewing a rye beer, here's my grain bill/etc:

4lb 2 Row
4lb Maris Otter
2lb Rye Malt
1lb Cara 120L
1 1/2 oz Challenger 60 min
1/2 oz Cascade 60 min
1/2 oz Fuggles 10 min

I've only done a couple of all grains and I've only ever done single infusion batch sparges with my 10 gallon rubbermaid cooler. I've read in a few places that as long as I'm under 20% rye that single infusion would be alright but I figured I'd ask around here if anyone had any better ideas. Prosit! :rockin:

Yeah, you'll be alright with a single infusion mash. I just brewed a rye ale with the grain bill being 13% rye malt with a one step mash at 152 and it turned out great. Good Luck!

Bumping for an update. I brewed this on March 25th and I took a gravity reading today(April 6th) and I'm getting a reading of 1.020. My OG was 1.060 and according to Beersmith that rates my attenuation at 52% which seems really low according to Wyeast's listing for 1028 which says 75%.

I did overshoot my mash temp initially, could that affect the attenuation at all? I also didn't make my usual starter and instead pitched two packs and the beer fermented at mid 60s. Not really a big deal since the beer tastes great but this isn't the first time I've noticed low attenuation from my beers and I'd like to start perfecting my procedures so I'd like to hear some input. :)

That is an apparent attenuation of 2/3. The Wyeast number will be in terms of apparent, not actual, attenuation.

I guess 65% apparent attenuation isn't too far off from the Wyeast site then. I was using a new thermometer which wasn't very accurate and overshot my target mash temp of 150F and hit 170F for about 10-15 min then got it back down to 150F. I'm assuming because of the initial overshooting of the temp that it made more unfermentable sugars and thus lower the amount the yeast could attenuate, correct?

Back