Ruthless Rye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Short's Rich's Rye blows this away! It can't compare with what I would say has 10X the rye flavor as Ruthless.

It is at Wally World here in Tallahassee, FL I didn't get any as I am not a big fan of Rye Whiskey and figured the beer would be the same.

I'll be on the lookout for this in the store. Meantime, I'm enjoying my third batch of Ed Wort's BCB Rye IPA. This beer is not difficult to brew, and has all the qualities people appear to be enjoying in this thread in the Ruthless.....

I bought a 12 pack a few weeks ago. I wasn't sure about it at first, but it definitely grows on you. I had never had a rye beer before this, and I enjoy it. It took me a few to appreciate the flavor, but I would recommend it to someone who enjoys trying new beers!

Edit: Also, it inspired me to brew my first rye batch.

spotted this at a local grocer today and picked up a sixer. very impressed, has that kinda distinctive SN bitterness and hop aroma with a nice bite from the rye.

jonmohno, should be around in Iowa now.

Yeah thanks got it ,i think as soon as it came in about 3 days ago,took the last two sixers,ha.I thought it was pretty hoppy,with torpedo like qualities a little,and the rye was about right somewhat mild-medium but not to ryeish. I do think as of now its a hoppy ipa,but think overtime the rye character will come out as it ages some. I do like think that the SN has a certain trademark bitterness to their beers.Thought it was a slightly malty/sweeter(no complaints) than the typical SN others but looks like a good seasonal staple-classic.

Next up--bottle of Pliny and a Blind Pig.

Trademark bitterness to SN beers -- I very much agree. This one has some rye in it for color.

It's not bad. Cascade?

EDIT: as I finish my very first glass it pales in comparison to the jalepeno and cheese venison summer sausage I've paired it with. But, then again, most things do!!!
It's been a while since I've had a SNPA, but it tastes similar, but much better due to the rye, than what I remember.

image-394532858.jpg

I saw this today as far as the eye could see (it was on the top shelf after all!). PM me of anyone would like to do a trade.

had this last night, was very good! i like most everything from SN and glad to see they're still bringing it.

IM thinking nugget,galena?+whatever Anybody know what yeast? Same chico?

I located a six of this in the supermarket this morning. Similar to the Bee Cave Brewery Rye IPA (see recipes section), but with more hops. I'd go with the BCB recipe, and dry hop with a few ounces of Centennial.....and go from there.

Just tried this last night.. im liking it! Made the giants/49ers game a little easier to watch ;)

I'm about to start boycotting Sierra Nevada. I live in the SF Bay area and we seem to be the last place in the country to get any of their beers. I tried this on tap over the weekend and was impressed. But no stores have it.

They are serving this on tap right now in Cumming GA at the "Crafty Draught." I was excited to see it pouring and the beer didn't disappoint. I definitely recommend it!

I need to find a bottle of it for my collection...awesome label.

WTF, on tap in BFE, georgia but can't find this in the San Francisco Bay area?

I'm about to start boycotting Sierra Nevada. I live in the SF Bay area and we seem to be the last place in the country to get any of their beers. I tried this on tap over the weekend and was impressed. But no stores have it.

They're probably trying to sell as much Celebration as they can before they pull it for Ruthless. I know our distributor in AZ is. I haven't seen Ruthless in stores yet, only on draft. Which tells me it's sitting in the distributors warehouse, rather than in my fridge =(

IM thinking nugget,galena?+whatever Anybody know what yeast? Same chico?

not sure on the yeast, i'm pretty sure its chico though.

as for the hops, i know the brewmaster there likes to use magnum, so i bet that is in there somewheres. in fact, i kinda think that might be why their beers seem so trademarked with the bitterness factor. beers i've bittered with magnum seem to have a similar quality.

edit: i take that back, it's bravo for bittering, chinook + experimental for aroma, and chinook, citra, and experimental for dry.

Picked up a 12 pack a few days ago.

Very good beer. Well balanced.

The only other Rye beer I've had was from a brewery in Asheville NC called French Broad. It was called Rye Hopper. It was also very good. So good I left with growler to take back to Florida.

maybe people buy it all before you get there? :fro:

They're probably trying to sell as much Celebration as they can before they pull it for Ruthless. I know our distributor in AZ is. I haven't seen Ruthless in stores yet, only on draft. Which tells me it's sitting in the distributors warehouse, rather than in my fridge =(

I bought two six packs over the weekend at Safeway in Half Moon Bay. I was surprised they had it. Great beer.

I finally found some at my local Lucky. Good stuff. Apparently my dog likes it too because I came home and he had destroyed the 12 pack box and bottled beer was rolling all around the living room. None broke but one is mysteriously missing. Hmmmmmmm

I wouldn't doubt it. I wasn't trying to insult southerners. I was merely exclaiming that I found it odd that people across the nation get this before those locally.

It would be like me getting Dogfish 120 IPA in California before anyone in Delaware gets it.

I wouldn't doubt it. I wasn't trying to insult southerners. I was merely exclaiming that I found it odd that people across the nation get this before those locally.

It would be like me getting Dogfish 120 IPA in California before anyone in Delaware gets it.

No worries, I know you were joking. :mug: I'm actually a transplanted yankee anyways (from Michigan), and I lived in NorCal for 4 years (Sacramento). It is weird how some brews pop up in some places and are impossible to find in others.

I'm excited to be able to call Sierra Nevada a 'local' brewery again soon. Rumors are that New Belgium might be opening up a new brewery in the Asheville area too, but that is still unknown I think. NB has been flooding the market with tap takeovers lately, they are really pushing the markets hard around Charlotte.

Ruthless finally arrived in Phoenix. Wow, wonderful beer.

There's definitely some rye in the aroma, and Citra is definitely in there; I can pick that hop out from a mile away. It smells a lot like Torpedo but with that rye, peppery/spicy thing(probably partially from the Chinook too). Mouth feel is typical SN, very rich and big.

Whatever the experimental hop they're using is, I can't pick it out, but this is another fantastic IPA from SN. Rye IPAs often go wrong, and this one is definitely 'right'

A little research turned up that the experimental hops are HBC 366. Steve Dresler said it's a huge oil bomb, much like Citra, with some tropical fruit aromas, but with more of a citrus and grapefruit character. Sounds like a great hop!

I'm drinking my last Ruthless of a six pack right now. I love this stuff. I don't think I've had a beer from Sierra Nevada that I didn't like. And they always have awesome labels. I gotta get a couple t-shirts of my favorite labels. I used to think their Pale Ale was pretty bitter but in the last couple years I've noticed that I don't percieve the same bitterness as I used to. I think I've be come desensitized to hop bitterness. Kind of a bummer!

I'm drinking my last Ruthless of a six pack right now. I love this stuff. I don't think I've had a beer from Sierra Nevada that I didn't like. And they always have awesome labels. I gotta get a couple t-shirts of my favorite labels. I used to think their Pale Ale was pretty bitter but in the last couple years I've noticed that I don't percieve the same bitterness as I used to. I think I've be come desensitized to hop bitterness. Kind of a bummer!

arrgghh, the lupulin shift...

Bought a 12 pack last week. Had a couple and thought it was pretty good.

Last night I had a couple more bottles, and decided I really didn't care for it. Not sure what it is, probably the rye. I usually like any beer.

Back