Rustic American Farmhouse Ale recipe - Help with yeast, hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmarshall

Reaction score
I'm working on a recipe for next weekend that I need some input on. I call this "Moorefield Farmhand's Ale" after the farm in Kentucky where my father grew up. They didn't brew, but the inspiration is to use ingredients that they would have if they brewed. It is kind of like a dirty Kentucky Common with whatever grains are on hand, minus the roasted malt. I lightly toasted the oats and wheat two weeks ago to develop some biscuit flavors. I plan on conducting a cereal mash and I'm using six row to get a high enough diastatic power, though may need a touch more because my mash efficiency will probably not be so great. What I need help with is the yeast. I have a Saison Dupont culture around the house from my last brew, but I don't know if I want this to be that spicy or peppery. I have an orval culture around which would be interesting, but I'll probably save it for another time, would be a significantly greater turnaround time. It would certainly be more authentic to use an american ale yeast (WLP001 or similar), but I don't have any experience with it. Also considering harvesting some Oberon to get Bell's yeast. Any input? I'll also take alternative hops suggestions. I have whole cascade on hand from my backyard, but would be willing to save those for another brew. Would also like thoughts on souring a bit.
malt & fermentables
% LB OZ Malt or Fermentable ppg °L
31% 2 0 American Six-row Pale info 33 1 ~
23% 1 8 Grits info 37 1 ~
23% 1 8 Wheat, Unmalted (Wheat Berries, Toasted) info 34 5 ~
23% 1 8 Whole oat Groats (Toasted) info 34 0 ~ (possibly too much, might up the grits and cut down the oats)
6 8

Batch size: 5.0 gallons
Original Gravity 1.040 / 10.0° Plato (1.036 to 1.042)
Final Gravity 1.010 / 2.6° Plato (1.009 to 1.011)
Color 3° SRM / 5° EBC (Yellow) (will be somewhat darker with the toasted ingredients, program didn't take into account)
Mash Efficiency 70%

hops
use time oz variety form aa
boil 60 mins 1.0 Cascade info leaf 5.5

Boil: 5.5 avg gallons for 90 minutes Bitterness
21.4 IBU / 6 HBU
BU:GU 0.53
yeast
American Ale info: ale yeast in liquid form with medium flocculation and 75% attenuation
Alcohol4.0% ABV / 3% ABW

I'd avoid using wlp001 for this at that gravity and with grits it'll be too dry. Maybe try a British strain, Cluster hops would be fairly traditional but are a bit "rustic" for some, there are a couple of older varieties from CA like Ivanhoe that might be fun to use.

If this is your first time souring, you might want to reserve 1-2 quarts and pitch a lacto culture then pasteurize.

Fate intervened. My brother came to visit for the weekend to check out the local microbrews, and he left me a sixer of oberon. I'll culture that and use it.

Back