Rust on Stainless Bayou Classic?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbzdel

Reaction score
I just did a wet test run on my new electric system last night. After about 3 hours of messing around with i I drained the water and noticed that there is a line of rust about 1/2" up from the base of the kettle, it must be where the two halfs were welded together, its not a huge amount much just a inch here and there. Now I did a google search and it seems this is actually more common than I would of expected and the recommendation was to clean it with Barkeepers Friend, well I have none of that currently. I do have Oxyclean Free and Starsan, would either of these solve the problem? I am not oppsed to the bar keepers friend, I am just a little low on funds after finishing this system haha.

I don't think the Oxyclean would take care of this, I could be wrong though. Barkeepers friend works great, and it's less than two bucks at target.

The metal needs to form an oxidative layer. Jafo is correct, Oxy won't help with this. Scrub it up with some BKF, rinse and let it sit exposed to the air and you will form that oxidative layer.

Oh thats cheap, I expected it to be a high end cleaner haha!

I will have to get some..

I just looked it up online, guess that should of been step one haha..

Powder vs liquid... Any reason to choose one over the other???
Then there is also the multi-porpose vs the cookware version..

So confusing haha..

I don't think it really matters which type. I have a can of the powder. What matters is that it is oxalic acid based. Just scrub the metal down with a non-metalic scrub pad and the BKF until it is clean. Then clean off the residue and let it sit exposed to the air. Another layer of chromium oxide will develop in short order and your stainless will be nicely re-passivated.

I have a 10 gal Bayou Classic brew pot with all the bells and whistles and I noticed some rust after my 2nd batch of beer. I cleaned is off with some simple scrubbing and it was good as new, except.... I was using it last night as my hot water tank to feed my mash tun and lo and behold, where I had cleaned away this surface rust I now had a pin hole leak after two batches and several times as a water heater. Can't really see a whole but you can see the water drip and a fine stream. Anyone else ever see this after being out of the box for less than 2 months?

Now I have multiple leaks around the weld seam. Bayou Classic was no help since I was not the original buyer and don't have a receipt. The pot was still in the UPS shipping box from the vendor. I was going to make it into an electric hot water tank, but with the additional weld leaks it seems like a waste of time. I suppose I should have done more research - but I for one will never touch anything that says Bayou Classic again. I suppose it would be more satisfying as a target........

Now I have multiple leaks around the weld seam. Bayou Classic was no help since I was not the original buyer and don't have a receipt. The pot was still in the UPS shipping box from the vendor. I was going to make it into an electric hot water tank, but with the additional weld leaks it seems like a waste of time. I suppose I should have done more research - but I for one will never touch anything that says Bayou Classic again. I suppose it would be more satisfying as a target........

That sucks. Did you contact the vendor? I had a part break on my burner and it was completely my fault. I couldn't find a replacement so they sent me two for free (an extra just in case) even with telling them it was my fault. So my experience is great customer service from them. But sometimes it's the case that the vendor and not the manufacturer is required to take care of bad merchandise.

Powder vs liquid... Any reason to choose one over the other???

I prefer the powder over the liquid. The powder can be mixed as a stiff paste and seems to clean more aggressively. The liquid just does not seem as abrasive and quick to polish.

The powder w/ just enough water to work it really cuts through some nasty stuff and leaves stainless shining like new!

BKF on a 20 year old stainless pot that looked to have been through a war....

Latest posts

Back