Russian Imperial stuck ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiscDoc

Reaction score
I am brewing a RIS with OG 1.114 used a 2L starter of WYeast 1968. Initial vigorous fermentation see pics attached. After 2 weeks at 64 degrees bubbling has stopped and SG 1.042. I moved it to 70 degrees to try and kick it back in. Any recs or suggestions.

image-1075987409.jpg

Just because bubbling has stopped doesn't mean fermentation has completely stopped.

OTOH, Wyeast says alcohol tolerance for 1968 is 9% and the ABV calculators put your stout at around 9.5%. So, it may well be as far along as that yeast can take it even though attenuation % for that yeast implies FG should go a bit lower.

Assuming 1968 has done all it can due to alcohol content I'd think warming it isn't going to bring about any appreciable change in FG. Not sure what you'd do now other than bottle/condition or maybe pitch something with higher alcohol tolerance if you want lower FG but not too sure that's very good advice.

This is your "tribute to Hunahpu"? I believe someone in that thread said CCB gets about 64% attenuation, it looks like you are right around there. How does it taste?

I put a big barleywine (only 3 gal) on a 1968 cake from a 5 gal batch and that one petered out at about 1.040. Some have had success pushing that yeast into the high ABVs, others have trouble just like you and me.

I'm about to put that BW on the cake from a 1272 batch I have going right now, and I'll see if that does the trick (fingers crossed!)

allenH said:
This is your "tribute to Hunahpu"? I believe someone in that thread said CCB gets about 64% attenuation, it looks like you are right around there. How does it taste?

Yes this my Hunahpu tribute... Tastes amazing.. Not sweet at all with heavy notes of coffee and chocolate. I experimented with adding cocoa, ancho cinnamon and vanilla to the sample and its spot on.

DiscDoc said:
Yes this my Hunahpu tribute... Tastes amazing.. Not sweet at all with heavy notes of coffee and chocolate. I experimented with adding cocoa, ancho cinnamon and vanilla to the sample and its spot on.

Sounds like its done! I am making it this weekend, I'm still nailing down the final recipe as we speak. Anything that you would change in the recipe you used?

I don't think I would change anything. As I said it really tastes great at this point. If I would change anything I guess I would brew double the amount to split into one for the secondary additions and one to stand on its own, it really did taste that good at this point.

Back