Russian Imperial Stout - Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So this is my first stab at putting together my own recipe. I stuck with 10% roasted grains, and was looking to get in the upper range for IBUs. Please let me know what you think about ingredients, etc.

Recipe: Dragon's Breath Stout
Brewer: Wall Street Brewing
Style: Imperial Stout
TYPE: Extract

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 4.08 gal
Estimated OG: 1.118 SG
Estimated Color: 39.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 57.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item
12 lbs LME Golden Light (Briess) (4.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM)
7.0 oz Chocolate Malt (Simpsons) (430.0 SRM)
6.0 oz Roasted Barley (Simpsons) (550.0 SRM)
4.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM)
1.00 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (60 min)
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (45 min)
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (30 min)
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (15 min)
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min)
1 lbs 4.0 oz Brown Sugar, Light (8.0 SRM)
1 Pkgs London Ale (Wyeast Labs #1028)

I'm planning on using a yeast starter to get the yeast motivated. According to Beersmith, the brown sugar is only 8.4% of the sugars. That isn't too much, is it? Any other thoughts?

I like it, but have a few suggestions based off of my personal taste/experience. All just my opinion below...

1) The Brown Sugar is fine IMHO, but I usually use a limit of 1 pound on any sugars though.
2) Up the Special B to a full pound. I like what special B brings to a RIS and think that a half pound will go nearly unnoticed.
3)Up the roasted barley to 8oz. This will give a nice lil note of coffee with a touch of bitterness (but, not much).
4) Decrease the Chocolate to 4oz. I really think that Chocolate doesn't bring much to the RIS game besides color and by increasing the roasted barley we are not in need of any extra color.
5) Replace the flaked barley with a pound of flaked oats. I think that oats give better body and mouthfeel than barley.

After a few quick calcs, my suggestions lead to a similar beer @ 1.113 OG and 37.1 SRM. I didn't mess with or calculate hop additions, but @ 57 IBU yours will be on the low side and you may end up with a sweet breakfast stout like RIS. (Which I prefer)

Let us know how it turns out!

I appreciate the suggestions. Everything makes sense to me. The IBUs were a mispost, and should have read 67. Still on the low side of what I had envisioned, I'm thinking about including another hop addition, slightly increasing the warrior, and or dry hopping. Also, in the future, if I like how this turns out, I may toss some bourboned oak chips. Just a thought.

I like the sugar. Seems a reasonable amount and will help bring down the FG.

Hold the sugar and add it to the fermenter after fermentation starts to slow down, or add it in the secondary if you intend to use one (it will help create CO2 in the airspace and protect the beer).

Adding the sugar later gives the yeast a lower gravity beer to start work on, and helps improve the fermentation. 1.25 lbs of sugar is about 11 points in 5 gallons.

I am finally getting around to brewing this beer. I have made some changes to the original recipe due to some feedback and suggestions. The recipe is as follows:

10 lbs DME Golden Light (Briess)
1 lbs Oats, Golden Naked (Simpsons)
1 lbs Special B Malt (180.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (Simpsons)
4.0 oz Roasted Barley (Simpsons)
1.00 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (60 min)
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (50 min)
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (45 min)
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (30 min)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (15 min)
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min)
1 lbs Brown Sugar, Light
2 Pkgs Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084) [Starter 2000 ml]
1 Pkgs Pasteur Champagne (Red Star #-)

Anticipated OG: 1.101
Anticipated FG: 1.025
IBUs: 81.5

I will put together a starter 2 days prior to brew day, setting the starter on a stir plate. After the boil (Should have around 3 gallons), I will pour 2 gallons into a carboy, and split the remaining gallon into two seperate containers. As the initial fermentation begins to taper, I will add one of the containers. At the next sign of fermentation slowing, I will repeat. Finally, I will pitch the champagne yeast.

Please feel free to comment, and I will make updates as the brew progresses.

Back