Rum Spice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5mooth0perator

Reaction score
I recently was on St. Lucia, which is considered a spice island in the West Indies. I really like spices especially for brewing but also cooking, but I must admit I was unprepared for the variety that were available at the markets on this heavenly island. They sold these spice packets for soaking in rum, I bought a couple packets as well as a number of individually packaged spices, thinking I might try making spiced rum and or spiced beer. Does anyone know what might be in these? I recognized many, bay leaf, cinnamon, star anise, cloves, nutmeg, sarsaparilla. Others, I had heard of mauby https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauby

Some, I have kind of figured out. The husk of a soursop, I actually ended up purchasing twice, not knowing they were the same in two forms. Another was called Morringe, but thinking back it might have been lemon verbena. Others, looked like split wood, I asked but a lady on our cruise ship explained that each of the islands will have a different name for the same thing.

Are there any resources that can help me identify what these are, or how they might be used in beer? It was kind of interesting on the streets, they had jugs full of reddish looking rum.

Latest posts

Back