Rules of brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewingViking

Reaction score
I did a quick search on my cell app and didnt see anything so if there is sorry. But lets make "The Rules of Brewing."

The only rule in brewing is that there are no rules. (And we don't talk about fight club.)

There's no best, better, or "versus" issues. Only preferences.

Ask 10 brewers the same questions, and you'll get 12 different answers, and they all will be right.

I was thinkin just a joke thing like
1. Dont rush the beer
2. Dont rush the beer
3. rdwhahb

rule #1 you do not talk about brewing
rule #2 you DO NOT talk about brewing

... who am I kidding we all talk about it all the time.

I don't know about hard rules per say. But I certainly have some house rules I've adopted to my brew days.

1. Don't get drunk. Drunk=mistakes.
2. It's not the end of the world if you get drunk, as long as you made a checklist beforehand.
3. The very second you take your eyes off a boil, it will boil over.

Only rule I know of, always but always, close the boil kettle valve before pouring in your hot runoff. You would think after doing that several times I would learn......

I can only think of 2 "rules" one I think everyone will agree is dont add ur hydro sample back into the beer. One of mine use the hydrometer and then immediately put it away Chopps

Rule #1 - must have homebrew whilst brewing.
Rule #2 - must have homebrew whilst bottling.

Anything else is open for discussion...

I can only think of 2 "rules" one I think everyone will agree is dont add ur hydro sample back into the beer. One of mine use the hydrometer and then immediately put it away Chopps

I put the hydro sample back in after a small taste...

Revvy is right on about there being NO rules about brewing. So, perhaps these two "rules" would be sufficient...

Rule #1: There are NO rules about brewing.
Rule #2: See Rule #1.

There are many, MANY, M-A-N-Y "suggestions" or "recommendations" regarding brewing, however. The closest thing to a rule would be "Sanitize, Sanitize, Sanitize!"

glenn514:mug:

Echo the no rules thing but I perfer:
- to always brew in jeans and waterproof work boots.
- not to drink on brew days until everything is put away.

My 2nd preference is due to a homebrew club event/brew day at my house. I had way to many "samples" because everyone showed up with full coolers. While this is great in theory, I had a small 4oz beer "taster" glass and this is how the day went...

I had people pouring me things while saying,"This one is my apfelwien, this is the same batch aged on French oak and this is the same aged on American oak. It is really nice to be able to taste the difference, don't you think?" Long story short if it was not for a good friend/fellow brewer/club member I would have passed out in the garage, burner going at full boil until the propane tank went dry. He says I pitched the yeast but I am still not so sure to this day...

We have rules posted. It does begin with "1. Sanitize, Sanitize, Sanitize!"

Also, no drinking until the WORT is boiling unless it after 2 PM somewhere.

After all, if you have no rules, you cannot have fun breaking them.

Only one rule: enjoy yourself. If you're not having fun while you're brewing you best find a new hobby.

Again I just wanna say this is just suppose to be joke thing. I'm not trying to make a list of mandatory rules for homebrewing that everyone should follow. I understand the whole no rules, rules ruin things, and everyone has their own rules. I was only thinking like the rules of the internet and murphy's laws. Maybe rules was a bad choice of words. Maybe "funny guidelines to brewing."

double up on everything you need on brew day. Yeah, that means two in each hand.

No wonder why my brew days are so challenging. Hiccup. LoL!!

Back