Ruined beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mission419

Reaction score
I appolgize in advance if this is in the wrong forum, I just dont know where to turn, I've googled the crap out of this, and cant figure out what to do... So, I picked up a kegerator for christmas from beverage factory... http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/kegerators/dualkegerator/Kegco_K309B-2_dual_faucet_kegerator.html is what i bought... I went with the upgraded 2 product regulator, and upgraded stainless steel tower with perlick faucets... it came with 2 standard D system couplers with lever handles... Had nothing but issues with it from the get go... First off, i made the mistake most newbies make, tried screwing the coupler on with the lever in the down position, that was my first encouter of spilled beer... So here i am, regulator hooked up to tank, c02 line hooked up to coupler, beer line to tower hooked up to coupler... The first keg I chose to put in the kegerator was a wonderful 1/6th barrel keg of liquid deliciousness that is great lakes christmas ale fresh from the brewery... When i first dropped the lever on the properly coupled keg, i had a massive leak from the faucet... After many colorful words, trying both lines with the same result, and finally removing the shank from the tower, I concluded that the faucets they sent me, werent designed to fit the shanks they installed in the tower... The geared interface between the faucet, and the shank, fit together, but when you tightened the coupler down with the faucet wrench as tight as you could, there was about an 1/8" worth of play between the faucet, and the shank... I managed to band aid the problem by putting one of the black washers they gave me for in between the coupler and beer line between the faucet, and shank, and amazingly, it held... From the get go, i was having foam issues, I figured that was from an unproperly insulated tower... I had the pressure on it set at 10 originally, it seemed i had too much pressure at the faucets, and dropped it down to 8... I also have the temperature holding pretty steady between 37-40 degrees. I dont know if this variable counts for anything, but the c02 i used was out of a tank thats been full for about 6 years... I bought a c02 system for a planted aquarium i was going to put together years ago, that never really panned out... i had the c02 filled when i first bought the system, but never used it, I was under the understanding that c02 doesnt go bad... Over the first few days, i was sick with a cold, so i couldnt really taste the beer one way or the other... now almost a week later, The beer just downright tastes flat... i still get a ton of foam when i pour, and am not getting the same bubble effect in the body of the glass that i was getting from the same christmas ale poured off the tap from the local buffalo wild wings yesterday... Is this beer ruined? Is it even safe to drink from a standpoint of one getting sick? If so, can anyone tell me what to do to remedy this problem for the future? And yes, I did call beverage factory, and am working on getting a new tower sent out...

Co2 should not got bad that I know of. Your pressure is to high for serving your beer it should be under 5 psi and it sounds like you have air coming into your system between the keg and tap. Was the beer from Great Lakes kept cold? If not that will def effect it's quality.

Your beer line should probably be about 8 to 12 feet long, and kept cold, to hold down the foaming. This is something that takes some tweaking for the system you are using.

Back