ruination?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joos

Reaction score
Seems like this beer comes up in every thread i read.It must be good.Is it available in MA,cuz I've never heard of it.

It's the Stone Ruination IPA. It's a great beer. Very similar to Ballast Point IPA, in my opinion, which is also a great and generally less expensive brew. Both should be widely available in MA.

I think it's overrated, but you should try it if you can find it. I strongly prefer Stone's basic IPA.

I haven't yet tried the basic IPA -- and think I will. I agree, although Ruination is a fine beer, it does seem overrated by a fair margin. As mentioned, the "lesser" Ballast point Big Eye IPA is right on the same level as far as my palate is concerned.

Seems like this beer comes up in every thread i read.It must be good.Is it available in MA,cuz I've never heard of it.

I saw it in a MA store back in December - sure you can find it somewhere. What part of MA are you from?

I live in taunton.(AKA the ******* of massachusetts).No good liquor stores here.I used to get arrogant bastard from a place in new bedford,looks like the same demon logo,but i never drive up there for beer anymore since i make AWESOME brew at home:D

I happen to be drinking the Stone IPA at the moment for the first time - well pleased.

This is a very good beer but for my money Bell's Two Hearted Ale is the best IPA on the market. This is a Michigan beer so I'm not sure if it makes it out east.

I live in taunton.(AKA the ******* of massachusetts).No good liquor stores here.I used to get arrogant bastard from a place in new bedford,looks like the same demon logo,but i never drive up there for beer anymore since i make AWESOME brew at home:D

Well, if you are ever heading towards Boston, Tri-town Liquors on Cobbs Corner where Sharon, Canton, and Stoughton meet carry it

What the...You can get Cali beers in MA but good East Coast beers never make it past the Mississippi? What gives, East Coast brewers?

I haven't yet tried the basic IPA -- and think I will. I agree, although Ruination is a fine beer, it does seem overrated by a fair margin. As mentioned, the "lesser" Ballast point Big Eye IPA is right on the same level as far as my palate is concerned.

Yeah, but Big Eye is an IPA and Ruination is a double IPA. I will say I like Dorado better than I like Ruination, though. I still think Ruination is a great beer. Ballast Point is really one of the best breweries out there. Living in SD, we get to have their special releases, which is really where they shine. it is too bad they don't do more.

The thing about Stone is that they're legendary. There will forever be fanboys of that brewery, and that's just how it goes. They make solid beer, but it is really geared to a specific palate, and it isn't for everyone.

Did a bit of research...the Big Eye and Ruination both use Centennial prominently, and are not too far off in terms of ABV. I guess this is why I had them lined up together in my mind. I recall having a big eye one day, and a ruination the next -- and was surprised at how similar they were in overall effect. I'm sure I could discern differences if I sat down and made the effort, but I digress.

I paid just under five for the Ballast Point, and about $8 for the Ruination. Hmm...I'll have to sample them both again before I draw any conclusions. To be honest, I kinda prefer 90 minute IPA to either of them...

(Quickly ducks behind the bar to avoid flying bottles)

We have several Kappys Liquors here in the north shore area. I know for a fact that they carry Stone Ruination IPA. I just picked some up last night. I personally love this beer, but it is quite expensive. They are getting somewhere around $17 a 6 pack. I think I will try the Ballast Point IPA too. If they are close to a Ruination at a cheaper price... even better.

I don't get Ballast here, but I do get Ruination. Damn good IPA considering the next step down here is Bridgeport. I always have to remember to pick up a bottle or two when I go visit my mom as she's an extreme hophead.

Yankee spirits in S. Attleboro has it. I beleive they recently opened a store in Swansea as well. I think there's a couple of good size stores in Mansfield as well.

Ruination is one of my all time favorites. I do think of it separately, though, from Bells and other quality single IPAs, and Bells is exquisite.

For doubles, you might have easier access to Weyerbacher, and if so, I'd recommend their Double Simcoe IPA. Love it.

Did a bit of research...the Big Eye and Ruination both use Centennial prominently, and are not too far off in terms of ABV. I guess this is why I had them lined up together in my mind. I recall having a big eye one day, and a ruination the next -- and was surprised at how similar they were in overall effect. I'm sure I could discern differences if I sat down and made the effort, but I digress.

I paid just under five for the Ballast Point, and about $8 for the Ruination. Hmm...I'll have to sample them both again before I draw any conclusions. To be honest, I kinda prefer 90 minute IPA to either of them...

(Quickly ducks behind the bar to avoid flying bottles)

I won't throw any bottles at you, but I can't imagine thinking that myself. Of course, Big Eye and Ruination are not even close to my favorite IPAs.

I have very limited experience with bigger IPAs but I really like ruination, I am gonna have to attempt a clone at some point.

It would be a bit of a drive but do yourself a favor and go to Table and Vine in W. Springfield (Just off I-91) or Ryan and Casey's in Greenfield (also just off I-91) and load up on all kinds of great beers from around the country and the world. Bring some dough and plenty of room in your vehicle. :D

It is worth the trip believe me. It is about a three hour drive for me!

We have several Kappys Liquors here in the north shore area. I know for a fact that they carry Stone Ruination IPA. I just picked some up last night. I personally love this beer, but it is quite expensive. They are getting somewhere around $17 a 6 pack. I think I will try the Ballast Point IPA too. If they are close to a Ruination at a cheaper price... even better.

Just bought a sixer today. 14 bucks in NH. Not a bad brew. Don't really think it is worth the high price.

Also I-Hop, your "Frank the Tank" quote intrigues me. Seems some time ago on a racing web board here in New England, there was a poster with that screen name. If I remember correctly, he was quite humorous.

Also I-Hop, your "Frank the Tank" quote intrigues me. Seems some time ago on a racing web board here in New England, there was a poster with that screen name. If I remember correctly, he was quite humorous.

Frank the Tank was Will Ferrell"s character in the movie "Old School." It was about a group of older guys that start a fraternity so they can rent a house that is on a college property. It was sort of along the lines of Animal House. Great movie and in my eyes, Will Ferrell's best. If you haven't seen it... rent it.

Ballast Point is my LHBS! the IPA is good, but I like their porter the most I think.

you pretty much can't go wrong with Ballast Point. Their porter is outstanding and so is their IPA. I really love it when Dorado double IPA and Sculpin come out. those are some great beers.

Edit: I love to take a growler in and get the 'Black eye'. someting about their Porter and IPA blend incredibly well.

Back