Ruby Ale Clone - Rack to secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackForestBrewery

Reaction score
Hey fellas,

I'm curious about this Ruby Ale Clone recipe that EvilTOJ provided for us here (link below). It calls for racking to secondary, but have any of you brewed this and just bottled after primary was completed? I have limited space in my carboys right now and I'm curious how it turned out for you guys who skipped secondary.

If I am able to pick up some more carboys, I'll just go ahead and rack it. I'm just curious about how it turned out for you guys who may have skipped racking to secondary.

EvilTOJ (Ruby Ale Clone)
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f75/mcmenamins-ruby-68755/

IF EvilTOJ does something it's because it needs to be done.

In all seriousness, you need to rack that one to clean it up. Or else you'll be left with a very messy beer.

In all seriousness, you need to rack that one to clean it up. Or else you'll be left with a very messy beer.

Thanks for the advice bro. I'll go ahead and just get a few more carboys. I figure when its done, I'll just use the extras for apfelwein or something. Never hurts to have extra carboys hanging around.

I kind of figured that the raspberry addition would make the beer very hazy, but since I have not brewed this one before, I wanted a little bit of insight and you cleared that right up for me. Thanks!

Pat

NP...it's not the haze, this beer is supposed to be hazy. It's the actual particles of fruit. The more chance you give to let them drop out the better. There's nothing more nasty than drinking particles of fruit that you didn't get (IMO). Pick up one of them 6 gallon PET's or something. They are pretty cheap.

NP...it's not the haze, this beer is supposed to be hazy. It's the actual particles of fruit. The more chance you give to let them drop out the better. There's nothing more nasty than drinking particles of fruit that you didn't get (IMO). Pick up one of them 6 gallon PET's or something. They are pretty cheap.

Ah, ok bro! I'll pick up the second carboy tomorrow or saturday as soon as I get the chance. I'll go ahead and rack to secondary because of your recommendation.

Have you drank the original brew (not the clone)? How does the clone compare to the original brew? This is my moms favorite brew, and I wanted to whip up a batch for her. When we lived right outside Portland, I swear we went to the ol' Kennedy School about once a month.

No. I haven't had the original or made the clone. But I do plan to make it this summer when raspberries come back into season and the quality gets better and the price drops a bit.

But! I have had some of EvilTOJ's beer, and except for the bottle bombs he sent me (I'm not bitter ;) ), they've all been really good. So he's probably pretty close.

-Wally

No. I haven't had the original or made the clone. But I do plan to make it this summer when raspberries come back into season and the quality gets better and the price drops a bit.

But! I have had some of EvilTOJ's beer, and except for the bottle bombs he sent me (I'm not bitter ;) ), they've all been really good. So he's probably pretty close.

-Wally

I'll take your word on it. ;) Bottle bombs huh? Haha! Had a few nasty surprises myself with bottle bombs.

The recipe looks great, and hopefully I'll be able to achieve something similar to the original.

Thanks for all the help bro.

- Pat

I just brewed this today. I can definitely see why he recommended racking to secondary. :drunk: Such a messy beer. I'm putting the link to my brew day below.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f85/brew-log-mcmenamins-ruby-ale-clone-218186/

IMG_1948Small.jpg

Back