RubberMaid says "NO"!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just contacted US plastics via their online chat application. I've ordered other products from them before, and they carry rubbermaid coolers. My query: I need to know what the inner liner of your rubbermaid 10 gallon cooler is made of - LDPE, HDPE, PP, or other.

After being told to wait while the agent checked, and being 'on hold' for approx 10 minutes, I received the response "It's HDPE". Take it for what it's worth. For all I know they just looked at the bottom of the lid, saw the '2' symbol, and assumed the entire liner was HDPE just like I did the first time I purchased one. Then again, they might actually know for sure.

I never heard back from Morebeer either, they usually call me right back so I'm assuming they couldn't find anything either.

cheezy - anyone can be afraid of whatever they want. You can worry all day long about what you want. Does that make you better father? Don't care.

You sound like a paranoid android. Simply stating fears, yet having nothing to support your claims. (Please waste your time trying to support your claims, I'm sure your kids will greatly appreciate the wasted time).

But I guess I'm just a screwed up person b/c I watched the little mermaid growing up and Sebastian the crab was my favorite character.

No, You're probably screwed up because you kept on breathing easy when they started to think asbestos might be bad for you.

I said mashing in a cooler was probably OK. HEAR ME THIS TIME.

And yeah, if something is messing with my sperm, I'm concerned!

Glad you aren't!

:mug:

I would use slightly acidic hot water to mimic the PH of the mash. Maybe even add some kind of mild alcohol as a solvent in there (vodka? rubbing acohol?) for good measure.

But I didn't do this and I bought mine used for 3 bucks and I have NO idea what the previous owner used it for.

Not all that nutty, gnome. A good thought.

I'm going to start mashing in my glass carboy. I'll just place my screen door over my kettle, set the carboy on top, and break it with a hammer to sparge.

I wouldn't bother with the screen door, the glass will settle out. I've heard of Isinglass, you'll have the glass-is-in.

I'm going to start mashing in my glass carboy. I'll just place my screen door over my kettle, set the carboy on top, and break it with a hammer to sparge.

Aren't you the least bit worried about silica leeching into your beer? IT'S SAND fer chrissakes. Ever spill your beer on the beach then try to drink it. Trust me, it's not a tasty experience.

Plus, my carboy was made in Mexico. You do know about the fertilizers and pesticides they use, right?

No thanks, I'll stick to mashing in my hot tub.:cross:

I wouldn't bother with the screen door, the glass will settle out. I've heard of Isinglass, you'll have the glass-is-in.

Well played sir.

I really do want to know the basis and support for this evil Leach Monster.
In the 80's eggs were the devil.
More recently people are holding crosses over aluminum without any concrete evidence.
People say shyt ALL the time and all it takes is one hippy to spread the word to his hippy friends and all of the sudden thinking will give you cancer.
Info given here previously mentions plastics leaching organics. What does this mean? Is plastic really guilty until proven innocent or can ANYONE provide real data to back up what is currently just a claim?
We don't need to know the long term effects of leaching, ony what it is people are so damn scared of (besides BPA).
I am being serious here and not bagging on anyone.

Yup, lame.

Don't think anyone ever said that there was NOTHING wrong, just that there was NO EVIDENCE that there was ANYTHING wrong. Not the same thing.

Intentionally stroking arguments is playing with fire.

We don't need to know the long term effects of leaching, ony what it is people are so damn scared of (besides BPA).
I am being serious here and not bagging on anyone.

It's really interesting you bring up BPA. Because in doing so you've pretty much answered your question.

BPA had been used in food & beverage packaging for DECADES before its potentially toxic nature came to light.

So why shouldn't people be concerned with other substances deemed safe at the present moment, particularly when they're being used in ways that directly contradict the recommendations and useage guidelines of the manufacturer?

Nothing's guaranteed 100% safe. We all determine where we're going to draw the line for ourselves in regards to product safety, what we consume, etc. But in my opinion... wanting to know a little bit more about such products is intelligent and healthy. Not paranoid. Given enough time, I could come up with an almost endless array of substances that were used for long periods of time, according to their intended use, before the detrimental health affects were known. Asbestos & tobacco come to mind immediately.

Thanks primarily to Brewtus, we're on the path now of actually knowing what plastic the rubbermaid liners are made of (posted in this thread), and I've posted related links to NSF & FDA certifications and useage guidelines, which, assuming we have the actual material targetted, begin to paint the use of Rubbermaid coolers as mash tuns in a positive light. It won't answer all the questions, but it's enough to satisfy many in regards to the line they draw. From what I've gathered, this is pretty much the first time anyone's even come close to actually knowing what they're mashing in regarding Rubbermaid products. And it's a direct result of those who bothered to question the matter. If we took the sage advice of all the 'old timers' who couldn't be bothered to provide anything of substance other than poking fun, we'd still know what we did before.. NADA.

I'm sure there will be more than one response following this along the lines of "We knew that all along". But that fact is... no... you didn't. You just assumed everything was GTG and happened to (maybe) be right. It's like claiming psychic powers for guessing the result of a coin toss.

It's really interesting you bring up BPA. Because in doing so you've pretty much answered your question.

BPA had been used in food & beverage packaging for DECADES before its potentially toxic nature came to light.

So why shouldn't people be concerned with other substances deemed safe at the present moment, particularly when they're being used in ways that directly contradict the recommendations and usage guidelines of the manufacturer?

Nothing's guaranteed 100% safe. We all determine where we're going to draw the line for ourselves in regards to product safety, what we consume, etc. But in my opinion... wanting to know a little bit more about such products is intelligent and healthy. Not paranoid. I could come up with an almost endless array of substances that were used for long periods of time, according to their intended use, before the detrimental health affects were known given enough time. Asbestos & tobacco come to mind immediately.

Thanks primarily to Brewtus, we're on the path now to actually knowing what plastic the rubbermaid liners are made of (posted in the 'other thread), and I've posted related links to NSF & FDA certifications and useage guidelines, which, assuming we have the actual material targetted, begin to paint the use of coolers as mash tuns in a postive light. It won't answer all the questions, but it's enough to satisfy many in regards to the line they draw.

I'm sure there will be more than one response following this along the lines of "We knew that all along". But that fact is... no... you didn't. You just assumed everything was GTG and happened to (maybe) be right. It's like claiming psychic powers for guessing the result of a coin toss.

We knew that!! TROLL!!!

Kidding.

Thanks for a very well thought out and emotion free post. I'm trying to get the hang of that myself, but stupid people just piss me right off.

The examples of BPA, asbestos etc. are exactly what I am trying to get at. THANK YOU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back