Rosé Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewshki

Reaction score
Listened to recent Brew Files and pitched the idea to my fiancé for our wedding in June. So now, I am making a rosé beer. However, can’t find too many recipes. Any thoughts?

A simple wheat beer fermented with raspberries turns out a nice rose' color and makes for a very enjoyable beer.

I think for the pink color, I am going to use hibiscus. Seems like that gets you a very deep color. I’m really trying to get an idea as to what the base beer should be.

Wine addition?

Hibiscus may give a slightly acidic taste if you use a bit much, so I'd watch your coloring addition and go with a lighter SRM beer.
If you use a wine, I'd recommend a dry red. The finished sweet reds like a German Dornfelder or Spanish wines can add a bit of extra sugar that might introduce some secondary fermentation with active beer yeast. A bit of purple or blue from grape juice or blueberries can work, too.

Hibiscus may give a slightly acidic taste if you use a bit much, so I'd watch your coloring addition and go with a lighter SRM beer.
If you use a wine, I'd recommend a dry red. The finished sweet reds like a German Dornfelder or Spanish wines can add a bit of extra sugar that might introduce some secondary fermentation with active beer yeast. A bit of purple or blue from grape juice or blueberries can work, too.

Hmm. I had never thought about adding finished wine. Do you think would be better than grape must? It would certainly be easier.

If you have the capacity to try those 1 gallon batches you could easily scale the flavor and color of your beer.
If you keg, I don't see why adding the wine as a late addition and keeping it chilled would be a real issue in a pressurized container. From my point of view, you have a lot of good options for color and flavor, but just have to decide how tinted and flavorful your result might be.
I'd choose a light SRM ale or lager (blonde or wheats make decent fruited beers) and you've got a wide range of yeast and hops to decide on, too.
Interesting links ...
https://growlermag.com/homebrew-recipe-hibiscus-red/
https://beerandbrewing.com/brewing-craft-beer-with-hibiscus/

Back