Ropey root beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drewch

Amateur Zymologist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I'm trying to do my first lacto-fermented root beer, and I was wondering if anyone had had their soda turn ropey?

I'm doing a take on the process on Wildcrafted Brewer. I made a strong tea, in effect, and used the whey from organic yogurt. I was trying to ferment directly in bottles with the idea of cold crashing when I hit a decent carbonation. But when I checked a test bottle today, it was definitely viscous. 😬

Will this clear with time? Or do I need to start over?

I had this issue with some giardiniera that I was fermenting a while back. Tasted fine but definitely ropey. I let it ferment another 2 weeks and the issue cleared up with no hint of ick.

Turns out the viscous issue is a bacteria that's still doing it's thing so the ferment wasn't completed. Definitely leave it alone and the issue will fix itself.

Thanks.

I couldn't find any literature showing that lacto gets ropey on its own; so was worrying that it meant there was something else in there.

Back