Room Temp Force Carb and Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frogger42

Reaction score
I’m new to “legging”, but not brewing. I’ve always bottled but since I got a Fermentasaurus, I’m interested in pressure.

I’m out of keg space so I’ll be adding pressure at room temp, 72 degrees.

Practically speaking, if I add 30 psi of pressure to get 2.5 volumes, how long will it take to equilibrate at 72 degrees, and at that point in time will I be able to use a beer gun to bottle at room temps, or is cooling necessary?

At 72°F, you'll need 32 psi to get 2.5 volumes. It should take about three weeks to come to equilibrium. You could speed that up by shaking the keg with 32 psi applied, and you can't overcarbonate since you are only using the equilibrium pressure for your carb level and temp. If you do shake/roll the keg, there is no way to estimate how long it will take to fully carbonate, it will just be less than using no agitation.

You will not be able to bottle from a room temp keg without having severe foaming problems. Colder is better when bottling.

Brew on :mug:

Back