Rookie mistake-need advice.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shiest

Reaction score
So this isnt my first batch but I'm no expert. I understand the general principals but I feel I made a dumb mistake and need advice. So I was into my boil with 1 oz of hop pellets added at the beginning of the boil. The recipe called for another ounce at 15 min. to go. SO... I took out the first bag and threw the second one in with 15 minutes to go. Needless to say the 1st ounce didn't get a full 60 minutes of boil time. I transferred to secondary yesterday and am dry hopping now. I tasted it and it tastes like beer but its an IPA and didn't nearly have the hops I wanted. So a few questions from those more experienced. 1. will the hop flavor become more pronounced after aging? am i just over reacting? 2. Is there anything that could be done? I was even thinking of boiling some hops in a little water and then adding it to the fermenter. I dunno. im thinking that last 15 minutes of missed boiling is crucial...

You most likely will not notice any difference. Are these whole hops or pellets. Why bag them? Hop debris can go in the fermentor or be strained out at the time the wort is poured into the fermentor.

So this isnt my first batch but I'm no expert. I understand the general principals but I feel I made a dumb mistake and need advice. So I was into my boil with 1 oz of hop pellets added at the beginning of the boil. The recipe called for another ounce at 15 min. to go. SO... I took out the first bag and threw the second one in with 15 minutes to go. Needless to say the 1st ounce didn't get a full 60 minutes of boil time. I transferred to secondary yesterday and am dry hopping now. I tasted it and it tastes like beer but its an IPA and didn't nearly have the hops I wanted. So a few questions from those more experienced. 1. will the hop flavor become more pronounced after aging? am i just over reacting? 2. Is there anything that could be done? I was even thinking of boiling some hops in a little water and then adding it to the fermenter. I dunno. im thinking that last 15 minutes of missed boiling is crucial...

If you added the first bag at 60 minutes and took it out at 15 minutes, it didn't get the full 60 minutes. Since those were the bittering hops, it probably won't be quite as bitter as you intended.

Dry hopping will give you more flavor/aroma. That won't replace the missing bittering, but it might distract from it.

But nothing is 'crucial' in the long run, when it comes to brewing. The worst that normally happens is turning out a beer you weren't planning on; that doesn't mean it's a bad beer.

honestly i dont know why i bagged them. its been 8 years since i brewed and i couldnt remember exactly how to do things. I boiled with pellets. i am dry hopping with whole hops.

what about boiling some separate and adding them for bitterness now? Is that crazy talk?

I would think it wouldn't be an enormous difference taking the bittering hops out. Maybe a bit, but I would think most of the acids and so forth would have soaked out of the hops by then.
You did make a mistake, but it's not a bad one. Just leave them in next time.
Plus In presuming you're making a 5 gallon batch, I wouldn't think that 1 ox of bittering and 1 of aroma / flavor hops would be enough. Maybe 3 times that for the boil. plus on top of that for the dryhop (which is optional)

Dry hopping means... adding the hop leafs to the secondary fermenter for a couple weeks.

I agree with troy2000. It may not be quite as bitter as you like, but i don't think the difference will be significant. I would not add any hops now except for the dry hop additions you have already done.

I would add the extra dry hop aroma as noted above and leave it as is. We homebrewers are constantly tinkering and making improvements. Some beers just don't turn out the way you are thinking but it's still good beer. I have often found that when you start trying to make up for errors like that you end up making it worse.
Enjoy the beer you made, then next time aim for a better bittering addition.

Most likely, you got a very high percentage of utilization for the full 60 minutes. To my understanding, the oils contain the alpha acids needed for bittering, and a mesh bag isn't going to contain the oils once the hops pulverize, which was probably within the first, oh, 5 seconds of the boil.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back