Rookie Mistake - Mash Fail!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldManVA

Reaction score
So today was my first AG batch. Been doing extracts in one form or the other for a couple years now. Anyway, didn't get my mash temp high enough I think. Volumes seemed good by my OG was down around 1.054. That would be great I suppose but I was doing a Dogfish Head 90 Min clone and it was supposed to be around 1.08+! :)

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that my mash temp caused this diff. Any other thoughts?

Thanks and Cheers!

Thanks and Cheers!

You need to tell us what your mash temp was and was supposed to be. It would also be helpful if not mandatory to anybody trying to answer your question(s) to have a look at the grain bill.

So today was my first AG batch. Been doing extracts in one form or the other for a couple years now. Anyway, didn't get my mash temp high enough I think. Volumes seemed good by my OG was down around 1.054. That would be great I suppose but I was doing a Dogfish Head 90 Min clone and it was supposed to be around 1.08+! :)

Thanks and Cheers!

Unless you mashed at 165 degrees, mash temperature probably isn't to blame for your low OG. It could be the crush, the amount of water used, the amount of stirring you did, etc. If you want to give us a play-by-play, maybe we could pick out some tips for next time.

You could add some DME (3 pounds of DME) to a little boiling water, boil for a minute, cool it and add it to your fermenter to bring up your OG.

I will add that the high mash temp would play more in how the beer finishes, I'm in Yooper's camp

Back