Rookie Mistake...airlock o-ring gone!! Advice or alternatives?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srydell39

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Just got done making my first batch. All went well until i attempted to put the airlock into the lid. I must have pushed too hard and I forced the rubber o-ring into the fermentor. I tried to spoon it out, but could not find it. So until I find a better alternative I have put multiple layers of packing tape around the airlock and lid for a seal. Will the tape suffice for this batch or does someone have an alternative? I'm using a plastic bucket fermentor by the way.

Hey guys,
Just got done making my first batch. All went well until i attempted to put the airlock into the lid. I must have pushed too hard and I forced the rubber o-ring into the fermentor. I tried to spoon it out, but could not find it. So until I find a better alternative I have put multiple layers of packing tape around the airlock and lid for a seal. Will the tape suffice for this batch or does someone have an alternative? I'm using a plastic bucket fermentor by the way.

Believe it or not, my first post to this forum was the exact same question!!!!!

I actually just duct taped mine, but the packing tape will work too. It doesn't really need to seal tightly, you just have the airlock and grommet (that rubber thing) to allow co2 out and no fruitflies and such in. If the airlock isn't dangling and about to fall out, it's fine!

Blowoff tube. Go to hardware store buy tubing sanitize tubing then fit tightly into hole. Place opposite end into sanitizing solution.

Too slow, +1 ^^

Pick up a few feet of vinyl tubing with an outer diameter that matches the hole. Put one end in the hole the other in a jug of water (i.e. blow-off tube).

And if this just happened, pour the beer into your bottling bucket slowly to find the gromet. Then back into your fermenter. The extra lil bit of aeration wont hurt either.

Did this on my first batch. Used a clean ziploc sandwich bag wrapped around the airlock without a problem.

Note that this was my wife's idea while I was busy freaking out with a bunch a really complicated ideas.

I wrapped up a piece of plastic wrap around the base of my airlock multiple times and then fitted it snug into that space. Worked just fine. try to sanitize whatever you use first though.

I've actually thought about this scenario before... while in the marines I was trained to treat a "sucking chest wound." You basically get a hard piece of plastic and put it over the hole and tape 3 sides. This will allow air to exit the hole but not be drawn back through. Sorry not trying to be gross :). The same concept would work for a fermenter.

Well now I am really worried about all these responses. I have my very 1st batch in the fermenter right now and the exact same thing happened to me with the airlock grommet. I tried to fish it out with a spoon but could not get it. So i made up some sanitizer and soaked my arm in it and reached in briefly to retrieve it. I thought it would ruin the beer if I left it in there...now I am thinking I might have runied it myself....CRAP

I really doubt you have ruined your beer. It's really hard to ruin a batch of beer just think drinkable beer has been made for centuries with sketchy sanitation. All of the above answers will work also you can buy a grommet for about a buck at any hardware store. I bought a hundred on ebay for less than 10 bucks.

Had a similar issue not long ago. I used a couple of the ideas all ready given and added to it. I chewed gum and placed around base of airlock then wrapper plastics sandwich bag around it then taped it. Doing it again I would skip the gum. But being my third batch I over thought the problem.

Back