Fermaid O consistency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdhirsch

Reaction score
I've always used Carlson yeast nutrient and energizer in the past, but I'm trying Fermaid O instead of the Carlson nutrient in my current batch of mead. I bought a 12 gram packet of Fermaid O from Northern Brewer to try it out (a small sealed plastic envelope). My question is regarding the physical consistency of the Fermaid.

It's a soft coagulated mass, strongly reminiscent of old neglected dry malt extract that has absorbed moisture from the air. It's like putty, rather than being a powder.

I cut off a chunk with a knife, about 1/4 tsp in volume, and I put it in a small bowl with 1 tbsp water. Then I used a spoon and a knife to smash it down into a thin layer and cut it up into small pieces. I let it sit in the water for about 30 minutes after that, cutting and mashing once or twice more during that time. Finally it was all dissolved, at which point I dumped it into the must.

The mead is perking along as usual, but I have to suspect that this is *not* the way that Fermaid is intended to be used. (For one thing, it seems like this process is just asking for contamination.) Any comments or advice? My current guess is that Fermaid must be very very hygroscopic, and maybe it absorbed moisture when it was being packaged.

I've always used Carlson yeast nutrient and energizer in the past, but I'm trying Fermaid O instead of the Carlson nutrient in my current batch of mead. I bought a 12 gram packet of Fermaid O from Northern Brewer to try it out (a small sealed plastic envelope). My question is regarding the physical consistency of the Fermaid.

It's a soft coagulated mass, strongly reminiscent of old neglected dry malt extract that has absorbed moisture from the air. It's like putty, rather than being a powder.

I cut off a chunk with a knife, about 1/4 tsp in volume, and I put it in a small bowl with 1 tbsp water. Then I used a spoon and a knife to smash it down into a thin layer and cut it up into small pieces. I let it sit in the water for about 30 minutes after that, cutting and mashing once or twice more during that time. Finally it was all dissolved, at which point I dumped it into the must.

The mead is perking along as usual, but I have to suspect that this is *not* the way that Fermaid is intended to be used. (For one thing, it seems like this process is just asking for contamination.) Any comments or advice? My current guess is that Fermaid must be very very hygroscopic, and maybe it absorbed moisture when it was being packaged.
I had that problem @ one time. Then I got some reusable food grade moisture absorbers. Game changer, @ least for me. I broke up what I could, transferred everything to a mason jar & threw in 4 or 5 of the moisture absorbers. Within a couple of weeks, whatever clumps that were remaining when I threw them in have completely turned to a fine, soft powder.
https://smile.amazon.com/Dry-Orange...=B07FSZVZFV&ref_=pd_bap_d_grid_rp_0_18_t&th=1
The best thing about these is they change color when they've absorbed whatever moisture they can, then they can be put in the oven (.5- 1.5 hrs @ 150°F-200°F) then reused again.

Last edited:
Excellent idea, thanks. I buy it in the small tub and even though it's a sealed container the stuff becomes a brick.
No problem. When I first put them in there, it didn't seem like they were doing much, but, I just left it alone & the magic happened on its own.

Back