Rookie bottling missed step?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmako

Reaction score
I bottled my dubbel today but after bottling I remembered that I forgot to stir the beer in the bottling bucket.

Now I boiled 2 pints of water with 3/4 cups of sugar. Added to my bottling bucket, then siphoned from my secondary into the bottle bucket. Would that be enough to stir things up?

Will all be okay?

Some bottles may be more carbinated then others?

Other?

You are actually not supposed to stir. The swirling from siphoning the beer in is enough.

I didn't stir last time either and everything came out alright. Siphoning onto the priming solution was enough. However, I've been told by numerous people to give it a gentle stir as well just to ensure a thorough mix, so next time I'll do that.

dmako said:
Now I boiled 2 pints of water with 3/4 cups of sugar. ...
Do you mean 2 cups? (not that the additional 2 cups of water will ruin your brew at all, if you did use 2 pints)

I always give it a gentle stir and it has always turned out ok. Also told the wife one time to give it a stir and I left out the word gentle and I turned around and she was wearing it out. That also turned surprisingly out ok!!!

ma2brew said:
Do you mean 2 cups? (not that the additional 2 cups of water will ruin your brew at all, if you did use 2 pints)

Oops good catch, 2 cups (1 pint) 3/4 cup priming sugar.

After having a batch that went more or less uncarbed last summer (had to open each bottle, add some carb tabs, recap -- and some still never carbed up), I always give a nice gentle stir for about 10 seconds or so before bottling. I've never experienced any oxidation or off flavors from it.

Back