Romulan Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Falstaff

A Bad Influence
Reaction score
I want to brew a Star Trek inspired ale. I'm going to make it a high abv barleywine, as it even put Worf under the table. Also it will be still, as all the instances of it show no head or bubbles.

My main question is how do I brew blue beer? I'd rather not just add food coloring.

Romulan_ale%2C_2375.jpg

I make a ginger - limeade 'Vossy' using frozen limeade with Voss yeast and it turns out bright green...hmm, maybe blue freezies could be used for some of the sugars? That's a toughie...:confused:

That’s going to be a really tough color to get out of a barleywine do to BW’s amber/light brown color.

From what I’ve seen on here, blueberries and beet juice have been the blue/purple color influencer. But even then, that’s starting very pale and it’s not really koolaid blue. Let us know what you do and post back.

I guess I chose the wrong style in my OP. I'd start with something high abv but yellow, not a brown barley wine. My mistake. That still leads to the problem of yellow and blue make green, but I hope enough blue will overpower it.

What about that blue koolaid? It's mostly citric acid and could be added to the mash of a really light beer for pH control.

I like this idea. Worried it will just come out green, but then I can just save it for Saint Patty's. Also worried about too much of a ph drop.

Also, I'm going to look into the blue corn idea.

What about using high maltos corn syurp? I believe it's clear and would give a little malt backbone along with the lightest pils malt you can find.

This what I'll do it think. Start with a really light beer, then jack up the abv with sugar. I'll need to add some nutrients so the yeast is happy, too. This will probably end up tasting like crap, but taking risks is part of the fun of home brewing. I'm usually a traditionalist, but I'm in the mood to something crazy lately.

This sounds cool. I'm a big Star Trek fan myself. Be sure to keep us posted. After this you'll have to distill something green!

You might try a Belgian Blonde and add about 6 pounds Blueberries per gallon after primary fermentation.

I tried to do something like this using the palest white wine I could find, with blue food coloring. Turned out green. I'm thinking seltzer, vodka, and something blue.

Good info. Thank you. I was thinking of going with wine. Maybe it just isn't doable. I might go for it anyways, and if it comes out green save it for St. Patty's, as I said in an earlier post. But still, St. Patrick's true color is blue, and the beer I drink that day is usually black.

Good info. Thank you. I was thinking of going with wine. Maybe it just isn't doable. I might go for it anyways, and if it comes out green save it for St. Patty's, as I said in an earlier post. But still, St. Patrick's true color is blue, and the beer I drink that day is usually black.
I can no longer get Beamish, so for St. Paddy's Day I have a wee dram of Tyrconnell or Black Bush. But there's no real Trek connection except Colm "Miles O'Brien" Meaney. Sláinte!

This reminds me of when I was at school at WSU, we’d head over to the Rathskellers in Moscow, Idaho for beer every weekend. Around St. Patrick’s Day, it was the rage to drink green beer, probably made with food coloring.

One St. Patrick’s Day they were handing out “pills” for people to take. It was green urine indicator pills…. We were peeing green all night..!

Back