Roland's Bountiful Blueberry Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RolandD

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I started this just over a month ago, kegged a week ago, and it's just now carbed up and tastes great.

6 gal Great Value Apple Juice
8 lbs Frozen Blueberries
3 Tbls Yeast Nutrient
1 Tbls Yeast Energizer
1 Tbls Wine Tannins
1 tsp Malic Acid
1 pkt Lalvin K1-V1116

OG of apple juice was 1.049

I let the apple juice ferment for five days. I then juiced 3 lbs of thawed blueberries in an old, hand crank juicer and added the juice, pulp and skins to the fermenter along with 1 tsp of pectinase which I stirred in. On day 9, I juiced another 3 lbs of thawed blueberries and dumped it in. On day 18, I transferred to Secondary with an SG of 1.002. A lot of pulp and skins made it through the auto-siphon during transfer. On the 28th day, I dosed it with Potassium Metabisulphite and with Potassium Sorbate, eight hours later. The next day, I juiced 2 lbs of thawed blueberries, then strained the juice, yielding 3 cups of juice. I added 4 cups of morena sugar to the juice to make a simple syrup. After cooling in an ice water bath, I poured the syrup into a 5 gal keg and racked the cider onto it. Several skins, once again, made their way through the siphon/ I force carb by setting my CO2 to 45 psi, laying the keg on it's side, and roll it back and forth for 5 minutes.

This was the second keg I carbed that day and I was a little worn out, so it's just now properly carbed after four days in the kezzer. It's very flavorful and I'm very impressed with K1-V1116 and it performance in my 70 degree cider closet.

Back