Roggenbier Commercial Examples?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hollywoodbrew

Reaction score
I'm considering a roggenbier using some WLP 380 yeast I have. Please chime in if you know of any commercial roggenbier examples that use a Bavarian hefeweizen yeast like this.

This is a smelly yeast, the banana gets on your face and it doesn't go away for hours. I'd like to give this yeast another try, this time in a roggenbier. I think I'll over-pitch into a cold wort to minimize the ethyl acetate. :ban:

Hollywoodbrew,
I wanted to brew a Roggenbier awhile back and also couldn't find a commercial example, I'm convinced they don't exist in the u.s.. I went for it anyway because it sounded so delicious. I found a recipe in the 'Brewing classic styles' book. Naturally I modified the recipe to suit my desires but used the recommended WLP300 yeast. This turned out great and I've got a yeast starter going right now to brew another batch. I'm not familiar with the WLP380 but if it's not too late for you, switch to the WLP300, you won't regret it.
mark at Beer Diary...
www.backyardbrewer.blogspot.com

This is a smelly yeast, the banana gets on your face and it doesn't go away for hours.

are you sure you're getting banana? 380 is known for being mild with banana and being more clovey, with some other fruit notes

380 is known for being mild with banana and being more clovey

ridiculous banana aroma and flavor. It's way over the top. I got 380 for the reasons you stated, and the clove is definitely there behind all that banana. But the problem was that about 48 hours into fermentation, the temp rose to 70F. This made the whole room smell like banana. Also the ferm was stuck at 63% attenuation for a few weeks. I racked it, and it took off again.

Next time I will put tighter controls on it so I get only clove and no banana. This is what I want for the roggenbier. It's too bad I can't find any examples, I wonder how the pros do it?

I even thought I making a blend of 380 and 001, for a fully attenuated beer with only a hint of hefe flavor.

weird, I let my weizenbock get up into the 70s with it last time and theres definitely no noticeable banana. clove and some other fruit, but definitely no banana. maybe i just got lucky or vice versa?

I think what I'm describing as banana is the ethyl acetate. Interestingly, WLP380 produced more of this compound than WLP300 (79ppm vs 38ppm) in the 68F miniferment test. Both numbers are far higher than typical ale yeasts.

Perhaps we're describing the same compound differently? What other fruits do you smell? Does the smell linger? For example, when I release pressure on the keg, my hands reek afterward, I have to wash my hands multiple times to get it off.

i got subtle notes of cherry & apricot with no lingering smell.

Back