Roeselare Wyeast and Golden Base issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhockenbrough

Reaction score
Hey All! So I brewed up a batch based off a Rare Barrel golden sour base clone that I found. There were some issues getting the mash temp up and holding which I think was the reason the FG came out rather low with the ABV ending around only 2.7%. Given it was a sour base, I had hoped that by pitching the Roeselare blend into a 5 gal batch the bacteria would eventually eat up the sugars that weren't converted during primary and bump the alcohol up to about 4% which is fine with me. However, it's been 4 months and I just tasted it yesterday (yes, I know it's kind of early to see any real lambic development). As far as I can tell, there has been no more conversion of sugars (FG is the same) and there is just the slightest hint of funkiness to it.

So, my question is, do you think this batch is just not going to develop flavor/bump up in ABV or should I hold tight and see? I planned eventually to do a 3rd fermentation on berries or fruit.

Add berries add sugar. The longer the bugs have the fruit on stuff to chomp on the happier they will be.
what is yiour gravity now/?
how high was your mash temp?
my first sour i was a noob and mashed close to 170! i used rosalair and still ended up with a berr that had a gravity of 1.002

So the mash temp looked solid at 154 then when I was bringing it back up after mash-in it flew up to 165 and took about 30 mins to drop back down to 154. OG was 1.048 and FG came in at 1.0281 on Wyeast American 2 then I racked into secondary and pitched the Roeselare. 4 months later, FG is still at 1.0281.

The only reason I would be hesitant to pitch the berries now (they're a couple pounds of hand-picked huckleberries) is that I read that the best way to retain the flavor is to pitch them about 5 weeks before kegging. Have you found otherwise? Would tossing in some straight sugar help get the bugs moving?

Back