Roeselare in primary lag phase

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andreiz

Reaction score
I brewed a Flanders Red ale on Sunday and pitched a packet of Wyeast Roeselare blend into the primary. 40 hours later I see no signs of fermentation. Is this normal? Should I add some US-05 to kickstart it or wait a bit longer?

I know how long Roeselare blend takes for fermentation and how long Flanders Red is supposed to be conditioned for. I was asking if anyone experienced an extended lag (compared to normal yeast) after pitching into the primary..

I was trying to get at the idea that the blend isn't a vigorous fermentor as regular sacc yeast is. Just because it doesn't appear to be fermenting doesn't mean it isn't. Have you taken any grav readings?

I experienced a 3 day lag when I brewed mine last year. I pitched with no starter, and the pack was probably 3-4 months old. For me, fermentation finally did kick in with a nice krausen and plenty of visible activity.

Did your pack have any swelling before you pitched?

I'd wait a few more days before doing anything.

I've never used Wyeast before, so I'm not sure just how swelled the packet is supposed to be normally, but it did look "plump". I'll take a gravity reading today and if not, probably pitch a fresh packet.

The sour blends don't usually plump the packet very much, if at all.

When you say "no signs of fermentation", do you mean there's no krausen, no airlock bubbles, no gravity change, or something else?

No krausen or airlock activity. I will take a gravity reading shortly.

Just took the gravity reading, and it's the same as OG (within the margin of error). Going to pick up another packet of Roeselare blend and pitch that..

Well, I just pitched a new packet of Roeselare blend. Will see how it goes.

BeerPressure, it was from May, but I suspect it went bad during shipping (ordered from Northern Brewer).

Back