Rocket stove

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlabrie

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has ever used a rocket stove to boil wort? It looks like it would be pretty efficient, but I wonder if smoke or ash might be a problem. You can make a simple one out of bricks or out of a 5 gal bucket like in this .

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
It took me a minute to get "SHTF" :D . That is a sweet stove! I think I am going to make one for the heck of it and see how it works.

:) good luck, I made one a few years ago out of a bucket, chimney metal and vermiculite. It worked out but no way as good as a commercial made product!

How much are you planing to boil? He boiled 2 cups, pretty far from 6+ gallons. Maybe a one gallon batch but you could do that on a stove.

How much are you planing to boil? He boiled 2 cups, pretty far from 6+ gallons. Maybe a one gallon batch but you could do that on a stove.

I hope to boil 6+ gallons. If it doesn't work, I'm only out a few bucks. Then I'll have to break down and buy a gas burner.

I have a brewing buddy that built a rocket stove out of a 55gal metal drum, and it boiled wort like nobody's business!

All a matter of scale :).

I have a brewing buddy that built a rocket stove out of a 55gal metal drum, and it boiled wort like nobody's business!

All a matter of scale :).

I was thinking the same thing. What if I went from a 4 inch pipe to 8"and scaled everything accordingly. I have read that the height of the burn chamber needs to be 3 times the diameter so it would be 24" tall.

Back