Rock Hard Crystal Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 141939

Reaction score
I suppose this is a very random question but...

I try to taste all my grain before it goes in the crusher because I'm "supposed too".

I know crystal malt is always a tougher kernel to chew on which I just figure is the nature of the crystal malt.

I picked up some crystal 10L for my last pale ale and this stuff was so hard I could not chew it at all, had to spit it out. Haven't experienced that yet.

Is that just something that can happen with crystal? I'm just wondering if maybe it was old or mistreated in some way that may have caused this which is why I am asking the question.

The beer is not finished yet so can't comment on the results of that.

Maybe that's it. Perhaps this is the first time I've eaten the 10L.

Or not eaten, I guess.

Thank you.

Certain crystals can be what is called "glassy", not unlike hard candy. The sugar(s) produced in the stewing process are transformed during kilning to what is essentially the hard candy stage.

Because they are so hard should they be run through a mill twice like wheat or something?

I guess next time I can mill them separate to see how the crush is.

I love having a fast repeatable way of adjusting the mill gap. I run any rye, wheat or light crystals through first at about .028" and then open to .032 for the rest of the bill.

I have the cereal killer which is not very easy to adjust the gap. Running through twice is the best I can do. Never thought about needing to do it with light crystal or carapils. I guess now I will!

You can make it easier, if you set your mill gap then mark the adjustment knobs. Different settings become an exercise in loosening the lock, moving the knob to the correct location, then locking it down again.

Mill it with this:

8steamroller-poly-v.png

Latest posts

Back