Robust Porter Malt Bill Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowden

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Getting things lined up for a couple batches that I am planning to enter in a competition this fall. I have some various grains left over from previous batches and am thinking about a robust porter mini-mash. What do you think of this grain bill? Too busy?

6 lb Dry Malt Extract - Extra Light 2.5L 64.3%
1 lb American - Munich - Light 10.7%
0.75 lb American - Caramel / Crystal 60L 8%
0.5 lb American - Chocolate 350L 5.4%
0.5 lb American - Victory 28L 5.4%
0.33 lb American - Black Malt 500L 3.5%
0.25 lb United Kingdom - Extra Dark Crystal 120L 2.7%
9.33 lb Total

Yeah a bit too busy. I always go by a rule of thumb to never exceed 20% specialty malts even for like imperial stouts. I found that once I stuck to that, no matter how much stuff I wanted to cram into the recipe, my beers vastly improved. Always go towards the simpler side. I think you could take out the victory, its not really adding anything and munich will help with the breadiness of the beer. That alone would probably be enough tweaking to make sure the final beer isnt too sweet

Thanks, m00ps. I had the same feeling, but always good to have it corroborated.

Already looking forward to making it, just need to free up a fermentor! :mug:

yeah my collection of fermentors got pretty out of hand pretty quickly. Started with 1 bucket and 1 glass carboy. Fast foward 1 year and now its 8 buckets, 4 carboys, and 9 kegs. I dont like to have to wait for one to free up so I always have 1 or 2 empty and ready

what yeast are you using?

I'd toss in a pound or 2 of 2-row. The Munich and Victory barely have enough diastatic power to convert themselves.

I don't consider Victory a speciality malt, as it converts just like base malt.

I think you are ok. My personal preference would be to drop the black, and double the chocolate .......... but I'm not a fan of black malts.

Latest posts

Back