Robust Porter ibu? And iPa ques

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beardown

Reaction score
Making a robust Porter, the hips are as follows,,,
Chinook 1.25 oz 13.1aa @ 60 mins
Kent gold .75 oz 5.7aa @ 15 mins
Fuggles .5 oz 4.2aa @ 5 mins

Gives an ibu of 79.1 .. Will also add some aroma cascade after boil,,, feedback on this please? Thanks,, ibu is high, but is it over the top high for a robust Porter? Thanks

What's the expected OG? I like the amount/timing of the Goldings and Fuggles, but do you have something more British or neutral for the bittering? I would also drop the Cascade, but I prefer more traditional porters. But please post your estimated OG - that will give a little more insight as to whether or not the IBUs are "too high".

Actually switched some grains in the recipe that I forgot to account for,, brings the ibu to 76.9 with estimated og of 1.063,,,, what u think? Thanks

for that og, i'd look at more like 38-40 ibu's. i was just doing up a robust porter recipe a couple hours ago. mine is set for an og of 1.064, 40 ibu's. at 76 ibu's, it's going to overwhelm, and probably clash with, any other flavors in the porter. that's high ibu's for an iipa, even, so i wouldn't

Yea don't want that... Been messing around with it and here's the latest...
-Chinook .5 oz 13.1aa 60 min
-Kent gold .5 oz 5.7aa 45 min
-fug .5 oz 4.2aa 30 min
-Kent gold .5 oz 5.7aa 5 min
-fug .5 oz 4.2aa 5 min

Gets me at 49.6 ibu w 1.064 og,,, feedback?

Also, which ibu calculation is most acurrate for extract w grains? Tinseth or rager? Thanks

Old old proters tended to be pretty bitter. Actual values bounced around a lot but a lot seemed to have an approximately 1:1 OG:IBU ratio which is pretty bitter. Making porters that bitter went out of fashion a long time ago though and most modern ones will be much less bitter.

here's the latest...
-Chinook .5 oz 13.1aa 60 min
-Kent gold .5 oz 5.7aa 45 min
-fug .5 oz 4.2aa 30 min
-Kent gold .5 oz 5.7aa 5 min
-fug .5 oz 4.2aa 5 min

Gets me at 49.6 ibu w 1.064 og,,, feedback?

Personally, I'd move the 45 min Goldings and the 30 min Fuggles both to between 30-20 mins. This is because not much flavour will come through with a 45 min boil. Your 30-20 min hops will give flavour, and 10-0 min hops will give aroma.

Here's a chart that I found useful:
http://www.thescrewybrewer.com/p/brewing-tools-formulas.html#hop

Back