Robobrew V3 35L - Hitting tempuratures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewdogbrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have made 3 batch with the Robobrew v3 35L and everything is good except one thing: hitting temperatures accurately and quickly.

I noticed when starting to heat water for mash in it takes 40-50 minutes to get to initial mash in temp of 143. In addition the Robobrew is off my 13 degree from actual temperature in kettle compated to what Robow brew says the tempurature is.
Now I know where the temp probe is located (at the bottom) however I also notice the difference in actual vs robobrew changes as you start hitting hotter temperatures as follows:

Note: I am taking actual temperature readings at top and lower middle of the kettle

from 80-154 degrees: robobrew reads about 13 degress hotter than actual temperature
from 167 to 212 degrees: robobrew readings differences get larger until at actual temp 212 degrees robobrew reads 232 degrees.
The problem is that I don't think calibrating robobrew will solve the problem since the temp differences I am seeing are not linear.
What has others seen on actual vs. robobrew temp reading?

That seems interesting. I have a robobrew v3 without the pump and I'm generally 5 degrees off consistently.

As for taking so long to hit your mash temps are you keeping the lid on when heating to mash temps?

Are you insulating your robobrew? That has helped me a lot in the winter months.

Thanks for the response - I did keep lid on except when taking temps for mashing
For boiling I didn't keep it on consistently until the hot break was over and yes it made a difference in keeping a rolling boil once hitting target temp.

Do you think the jacket will help in summer time as well as winter?

Lastly I bought the 120v version. Later my wife bought a potter's kiln and we upgraded an outlet to 240v 30 amp. Do you think the 240v version of the robobrew would heat faster than the 120v version?

As far as the jacket I simply purchased some reflectix from home depot and wrapped it a few times.

If you go 220V I would just get a simple custom build.

That's what I have for my 10 gallon batches.

I use the 120v robobrew for 5 gallon brews.

Back