Robobrew step mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrCheezle

Reaction score
Hey gang,
I'm looking at doing a step mash with my Robobrew on a Hefe recipe. I've only ever done infusion mashes with this thing.
Question is: When ramping from one step to another - do you use one element, or both?
What were your ramp times between steps on whatever element you were using?
Thanks!

Use both elements as you want to reach the next step as soon as possible. I actually just leave both elements on at all times even while mashing as the Robobrew (at least my v3) turns off one element automatically when it's just holding mash temp. I think my rise time between steps was between 1.6 - 2 degrees per minute depending on grain bill and mash water obviously. Rather slow, so if you're doing a big step like in a hefe from say a ferulic acid rest at 110-113 or so then ramping straight up to the sacc rest at say 152 I would mash in a little thicker than usual and use a boiling water infusion to aid with bringing it up to the next step quicker.

Rev.

Perfect. Just the answer I was looking for.
What's your step mash schedule?

Perfect. Just the answer I was looking for.
What's your step mash schedule?

I've yet to do a hefe with my Robobrew actually. Used to do them for years with my original cooler mash tun. Used to use water infusions which was always a interesting endeavour being you only have a certain about of water to work with. Also did double decoctions. This is why I did a test to check the rise temps of the Robobrew as I'm looking to do a hefeweizen again really soon and want to do a ferulic acid rest. I personally never saw any real difference doing protein or beta rests for my hefe's but have for ferulic and of course it's the furthest rest temp away from sacch rest temp. So I plan to let the rise go up through the protein and beta rest ranges than infuse with some boiling water to get through the 140 degree range as fast as possible and up to my sacch rest temp. These days with some tests showing full mash conversion in as little as 10 minutes I don't want to sit in the 140 range too long hence the reasoning to wait to add the step up water.

Rev.

Back